KNIGHTS’ TRIBUNE SERIES: SENIOR WATER POLO PLAYER CAITLIN BROZ

Caitlin Broz, Guest Writer

I am a senior here at Prospect. I’ve been playing water polo for the past six years. Throughout high school, my life has pretty much revolved around water polo. Every year, I play for an off-season club called NIPC, which is run by Stevenson High School. I’m on the road an hour a night to make it to my 2.5 hour practices. It is an intense club as we compete in USA tournaments each weekend as well as travel to play international teams. NIPC is one of the best clubs in Illinois and always prepares me for the high school season. 

With that being said, my spring water polo season being placed on the back-burner was very upsetting. My goals were to win the MSL East, place well at sectionals, and break another school record. Unfortunately, none of those things will happen this year. Some of my best memories with the team include qualifying for state my freshman year, riding the bus together, and hanging out every weekend during the season. Water polo has always been one of the highlights of high school and has given me some of my best friends. As a result, the day we found out about the cancellation of sports and activities was a tough one to process. I knew that the coronavirus pandemic wasn’t getting any better, but I never thought that it would change everything so fast. It seemed as though all my hard work and dedication was a complete waste. 

I was a team captain this year and couldn’t wait to rebuild the team with the addition of Meg Dix, our new varsity coach. I simply wanted to play the game that I love one last time, yet it was taken away from me right before my own eyes.