35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    33 °
    33 °
    34 °
    35 °
    37 °
    37 °
    38 °
    38 °
    38 °
    37 °
    37 °
    36 °
    35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    32 °
    31 °
    30 °
    30 °
    29 °
    28 °
    28 °
38°/ 31°
39°/ 27°
51°/ 32°
43°/ 34°
42°/ 30°
47°/ 36°

Chill out and enjoy the story

By Gina O’Neill
Executive Opinion Editor
Edward and Bella go in for a kiss before Edward decides that he needs to leave her.
Edward and Bella go in for a kiss.
No matter how much a book soars above it’s cinematic counterpart, there’s an obligation for all the book’s fanatics to go see the movie.   

That was proven yesterday night, when the Twilight series’, “New Moon,” earned $72.7 million, the box office record for single opening day. It even beat out “Dark Knight,” the former record holder, by $5.5 million. Whoa.

I contributed $9.50 to this gargantuan number, being one of the many obsessed to do so. While “New Moon” inevitably wasn’t as spellbinding as the book, that didn’t matter to me. I just wanted to see the story put to life on screen, instead of just in my mind.

I thought I wanted to be one of those people who comments on every aspect of the movie, like “Oh my gosh Edward totally did not say that with that expression!” but that takes away from the whole movie experience. The point of the movie was not to mirror the book exactly that would be impossible but to just tell the story, and the actors and film makers did a good enough job of that to satisfy me. Plus, those people are so annoying.

If it makes anyone feel better, the new director Chris Weitz did a much better job with “New Moon” than Catherine Hardwicke did with the original “Twilight.” The special effects were sharp, especially during the wolf scenes, and the “New Moon” fit much better with the book than “Twilight”. Edward’s glitter was much more masculine this time as well.
However, Weitz’s camera shots were dizzying. Not only were there way too many close-ups of Bella, but there were at least two times when the shot would be on Bella, circling around for a minute or two.

I understand the effect he was going for: she was overwhelmed with all the emotions she was feeling, but it made my stomach overwhelmed, and those quesadillas I ate earlier did not appreciate it either.
For all you who are uninformed,  in “New Moon,” Edward parts with an attached, lovestruck Bella in order to protect her, leaving her in deep depression. Her best friend, Jacob Black, is there to pick up the pieces. As Jacob undergoes his own physical changes, his feelings for Bella turn into more than friendly, and a love triangle is formed.
Jacob, Bella and Edward have a conversation, and it's clear that neitherof the guys are happy.
Being a member of “team Edward”, it’s obvious that this book pisses me off – Edward’s gone, and Jacob is trying to further ruin the chances of Edward and Bella ever getting back together.
However, the movie moved along quick enough for my anger to subside, and seeing Taylor Lautner, the actor who plays Jacob, multiple times on screen didn’t hurt either, especially when he was shirtless (I could wash my clothes on those abs).

As much as I dislike “New Moon” as a book, it’s still generates more of a reaction than the movie. The movie reminds me of my obsession and was entertaining enough to watch, but the books created that obsession and made me care so much more about the characters.

The obligation to see the movie was there though, because a movie about a book that people love so avidly cannot be ignored; it’s just like turning your back to the whole “Twilight” series.

Additionally, the movie creates an opportunity to be with all the other crazy “Twilight” lovers, and to partake in seeing the movie with them gives you more of a sense of belonging to a group. It’s fun being around people who all share the same common interest  the “Twilight” books  and care enough to go see the movie, let alone talk about it with you. 

Talking about the “Twilight” series with people who don’t care is like watching four straight hours of an MTV reality show for them: they’re bored out of their minds, and by the end, they want to kill you.  

So although we all know the books are better, except for non-teenage males like Tribune critic Michael Philips and other “Twilight” haters, we need to get over that fact and enjoy watching the story that we cherish unfold on screen.  
View Comments (4)