35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    33 °
    33 °
    34 °
    35 °
    37 °
    37 °
    38 °
    38 °
    38 °
    37 °
    37 °
    36 °
    35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    32 °
    31 °
    30 °
    30 °
    29 °
    28 °
    28 °
38°/ 31°
39°/ 27°
51°/ 32°
43°/ 34°
42°/ 30°
47°/ 36°

"Five Nights at Freddy's 3" provides brief terror

By Flynn Geraghty
Entertainment Editor 
Let’s be honest: Chuck E. Cheese is the perfect location for a horror game. Aside from the imminent threat of catching typhoid, those animatronics always seemed to stare right into your soul. It was downright creepy.
Apparently, Scott Cawthon agrees with me. In August 2014, Cawthon created the popular indie game “Five Nights at Freddy’s.”
You play as a security guard working the night shift at Freddy Fazbear’s Pizza. You spend the entirety of the game in your office and your goal is to try to survive your shift from midnight to 6am. Seems simple enough, until Freddy and his gang of animatronic buddies come out to play. And by “play,” I mean try and shove you into an official Freddy Fazbear animatronic suit full of active electrical wires.
“Five Nights at Freddy’s” practically became an overnight indie success. Critics loved the simplicity of the horror, since the only thing the player can really do is sit and wait to be killed. Several “Let’s Plays” of the game were even released by famous YouTubers, such as Markiplier and PewDiePie .
A mere two months after the release of the original game, its prequel, “Five Nights at Freddy’s 2,” came out with a bunch of new characters and a new location. Critics called it, “good, but too complicated.” They weren’t wrong, since in this one, the player had to monitor the cameras, shine a flashlight into dark areas, wind up a music box to occupy the animatronics, and put on a Freddy Fazbear mask when you get into a pickle.
Three months after the sequel’s release, Cawthon began posting posting promotional pictures and trailers for the newest addition to the series. However, every time he posted something new, he seemed to give less and less information about what the game was about. A demo of the game came out on March 1, and the game officially came out a few hours later on March 2.
After finally getting to play this much anticipated game, I only have one thing to say: “Ehh.”
This game starts off, like the others, in a security room. However, unlike the other games, this one takes place 30 years after the first game. The player is a security guard in Fazbear’s Fright, an amusement park which aims to scare the public with the story’s of the haunted restaurant, Freddy Fazbear’s Pizza, where several children were supposedly murdered by an animatronic.
To win the game, the player has to, once again, survive from midnight to 6am. You have to keep an eye on two layers of cameras and three operating systems. When the operating systems malfunction, specifically the ventilation system, you begin to hallucinate of some of animatronics popping up behind you. Although, it seems like only one animatronic can actually kill you: a beat-up rabbit nicknamed Springtrap.
This game actually seems to increase the horror element. When the character hallucinating, the animatronics popping up look demonic and a lot creepier than they did before, which makes the jump scare a little more terrifying. And now there’s more than one jump scare per round, unlike before when the only jump scare which happened when one of the characters was about to kill you.
Also, Springtrap is one of the more terrifying animatronics. It doesn’t even to jump out at you; it just kind of walks in, and yet, it still causes me to jump.
However, while this game does increase the scare factor, that doesn’t exactly mean it’s better than the others. Like the second game, there is still a lot to do. If you thought the second game had too much going on, this one doesn’t fix that problem at all. After a while, it gets a little complicated to keep trap of all of the systems.
And, after playing this game, I realized these games survive on the key factor of jump scares, and honestly, were they even that scary to begin with? Sure, a jump scare provides a brief jolt of panic, but there isn’t much to it after that. I believe for a horror game to truly be scary, there has to be some form of substance to it. “Five Nights at Freddy’s” is a brilliant concept, but the only thing truly scary about it, is its jump scares. But, the thing is, I don’t think of the game as a horror game. You don’t play it for the horror; you play it for the story. Watching all of the events unfold and learning all about “The Bite of ‘87” is engaging is more rewarding than playing the actual game itself.
If you enjoyed the other “Five Nights at Freddy’s” games and you want to continue the game, I’d recommend it. It has the same formula as the other ones and keeps the story going. But, if you really want a heavy duty horror game that keeps you awake at night, I’d find something different.