John+Kenney

John Kenney

John Kenney has been teaching AP Biology, human physiology and freshman biology at Prospect since 1988, and heading into his last few weeks before retirement has allowed him to reflect on his time spent teaching. 

Q: When did you decide that you wanted to be a teacher?

A: “Probably as a senior in college … I was getting a degree in biology and I was unsure of what to do with that degree. I didn’t want to go to graduate school without having a plan since it’s expensive, so I realized that I don’t want to work purely in a lab, it’s a little bit isolating … so I wanted to use my degree and work with people.”

Q: What got you interested in biology?

A: “I always was interested in life science. My father was an athletic trainer so I had this early exposure to a health environment so that got me interested. So when I went to college I decided to major in it … I didn’t have this grand plan at all. I was like ‘hey, biology’s interesting so that’s my major.”

Q: Do you have a particular memory that sticks with you?

A: “Working with students and working with colleagues are really the highlight. One thing I will miss is Food Fridays … every Friday one of the [lab] stations brings donuts, and it seems like it’s not that big of a deal but everyone looks forward to it.”

Q: How would you describe your experience here at Prospect?

A: “Very positive. Its been very positive working with students who work hard and are nice. My colleagues are really supportive and working in the same place for three decades they become your friends of course, your close friends. It’s a place where you get to work with your friends and some young people who are very nice as well.”

Q: What was the culture and community like at Prospect?  

A: “It’s a supportive and friendly environment. The kids of 1988 are a lot like the kids of 2023. The kids are the same, they’re nice, they’re energetic, they work hard.”

Q: What do you plan on doing in retirement?

A: “I’m going to keep teaching at Depaul College Prep High School … it’s actually a private school and I am going to be teaching biology.”

Q: How do you feel after so many years to be wrapping up your career at Prospect?\

A: “It’s an odd feeling. I’ve been coming here everyday for over 30 years, and then I won’t. It’s also a little bit of a sense of completion … we knew we were retiring for four years and so you’re kind of prepared for it.”

Q: What legacy do you hope you’ll be known for and leave behind at Prospect?

A: “I hope the students took something from the course and feel prepared when they go to the next level.”

Q: Do you have any advice for students who are currently navigating their way through high school?

A: “Do your homework and try to get nine hours of sleep each night. They’ll never get that, but that’s how much they should get. It’s kind of silly, but it’s good advice.”

Q: Do you think you made the right decision here working in a high school?

A: “Absolutely. Its been a really great place to work. The kids at prospect are really nice kids and the colleagues become your friends so those two components have made it a very positive experience.”

ProspectorNow • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in