35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    33 °
    33 °
    34 °
    35 °
    37 °
    37 °
    38 °
    38 °
    38 °
    37 °
    37 °
    36 °
    35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    32 °
    31 °
    30 °
    30 °
    29 °
    28 °
    28 °
38°/ 31°
39°/ 27°
51°/ 32°
43°/ 34°
42°/ 30°
47°/ 36°

Year end band concert wrap up

Sarah George

As the spring flowers first began to bloom, both floral scents and music permeated the air. The annual events known as the Spring Band Concert and Percussion (K)night showcased the performance of Prospect’s musicians and their progress throughout the year once again. From the rhythmic arrangements to the beats of percussion, the evenings were filled with creativity and skill, pleasing audiences and previewing the concerts to come.

Onlookers, parents, family, friends, and those just feeling curious crowded Kulieke Theater on that May 2nd evening as the members of the Concert and Symphonic Band consecutively sat in their chairs and organized their music for their performances. In that single night, students revealed the results of months of hard work and dedication—not to mention many solos and talking with the audience between pieces.

Chris Barnum, Prospect’s band director, had much to talk about regarding his students and their progress as of late.

“I think both bands showed tremendous growth this year. The repertoire was challenging for both the Concert and Symphonic Band this year and the amount of improvement both from individuals as well as the ensembles was really fantastic,” Barnum said.

But this wasn’t the only memorable performance of the year— from the start of the marching season until now, the Prospect band has hit a straight shot into the bullseye of musical success. For example, October sparks the memory of the Marching Band’s performance at the University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign—where they got first place in their division— along with non-marching concerts throughout the year. 

(K)night of Percussion took the spotlight as the drumline stole the show with dynamic performances. Special guest Bret Kuhn, a celebrated teacher and arranger, entered the stage to introduce a piece he wrote for the first time. Kuhn was also honored for his contributions to the band with a signed poster of the event as a token of appreciation. The night concluded with a high-energy performance featuring drum fills, sending the audience’s heartbeats racing. 

After that wonderful way to end the performance season, Emma Luehr, a freshman, wanted to share her experience with the night.

“Our percussion director Rachel Taylor arranged a piece for us called Sunflower, a version of the song Sunflower by Vampire Weekend, and it had such a fun vibe, we all had so much fun playing it, ” Luehr said.

Despite the excitement, the concerts also served as a bittersweet moment for many. Emotions overflowed as graduating seniors prepared for the final performance of their high school careers, with many reflecting on their journey in band.

This is a really special group of seniors.  They joined our band program in the midst of the pandemic when they weren’t able to do all of our ‘normal’ activities and they didn’t know what their band experience would entail. Rather than shy away from it, they embraced any opportunities they could to make music together and have really helped sustain our program,” said  Barnum.

At the end of the Spring Band Concert, awards lined the hearts, lapels, and pockets of outstandingly achieving seniors, including a 1000 dollar scholarship given by former band director Jim Morrison and his wife. The Marine Corps also awarded one deserving recipient— again proving the dedication and excellence of the Prospect band’s graduating class.

This marked the end of a very important era for them, bringing out a feeling of pride and nostalgia.

“This graduating class had so many people that all had such an impact on me. They demonstrate true leadership and they are such amazing people. I’ll miss them so much, but I can’t wait to see what they’ll do in the future,” Luehr said. 

I hope they’ll find a way to keep playing and listening to music!  That might be in ensembles in college, community groups, etc.  I also hope they’ll continue to attend concerts and support the arts.  Once you’re a musician, that never leaves, you will always be a musician,” Barnum added.

As the final notes echoed through the theater, the Spring Band Concert and (K)night of Percussion left a lasting impression, celebrating the past, present, and future of the band program and all of its impacts.