35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    33 °
    33 °
    34 °
    35 °
    37 °
    37 °
    38 °
    38 °
    38 °
    37 °
    37 °
    36 °
    35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    32 °
    31 °
    30 °
    30 °
    29 °
    28 °
    28 °
38°/ 31°
39°/ 27°
51°/ 32°
43°/ 34°
42°/ 30°
47°/ 36°

Long name brings unpredictable raps

Nathan Katzman

Staff Writer|

Adding on to the ridiculously long title that no one is going to be able to memorize after another couple albums come out, singer and songwriter Nicki Minaj released her third album, “Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded- The Re Up” on Nov. 19.

Weighing in at almost thirty-three minutes, with eight songs and a documentary, the $16.99 is worth it if you are into thirty-three minutes of constant rap with an explicit theme.

From her first album “Pink Friday”, which consisted of long rap rants about absolutely nothing helpful to anyone on this planet, Minaj is now experimenting with pop songs, like her songs from her previous album, “Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded”, such as “Starships”, “Pound the Alarm,” and “Masquerade”, and now this album with her new hit “Va Va Voom.”
“Va Va Voom” is about giving a boy the option to “play inside her playpen ‘cause he looks like a superstar in the makin’.” I guess when someone wants to get in another’s pants, they just have to mention that they look like a superstar in the making, then.
Her rap hits are still the same as her other albums, with half of them either having her talk about how she’s gonna beat this “female dog” up or she’s gonna do naughty things with a man. With the lyrics, parents will have to lock up their kids if this stuff is what’s mainstream nowadays.

In her song “The Boys featuring Cassie”, she mentions over and over again that “boys always spend their money on love,” using graphic details, examples, and the preaching of the N-word at the end of the first verse.

In her song “I Endorse These Strippers” she mentions that she endorses and supports strippers because she “tells the ‘ho-hos’ when they strip, that they can play with her…” Oh god, no.

The official genre is R&B/Hip Hop, but many could argue that this is some rambling trash that was written by a girl with artificial breasts, glutes, and a lot of money to back up her offensive words with. If it was to be compared with another artist, it would be compared to Missy Elliot because of her unpredictable raps and her unfiltered and shocking “ways of words,” per say.  Nonetheless, it seems like the next few albums will show more improvement on what she does best, scaring the living hell out of everyone.