35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    33 °
    33 °
    34 °
    35 °
    37 °
    37 °
    38 °
    38 °
    38 °
    37 °
    37 °
    36 °
    35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    32 °
    31 °
    30 °
    30 °
    29 °
    28 °
    28 °
38°/ 31°
39°/ 27°
51°/ 32°
43°/ 34°
42°/ 30°
47°/ 36°

Beth lives without Facebook

Feb. 16, 2010

I cannot believe I was actually looking forward to this.bethnofacebook

I thought it would be good for me.  Maybe I would find a new way to entertain myself.  Maybe I would even get ahead in homework.  Maybe I’ll like this.

Well, as a four-year Facebook addict, I am unashamed to admit to you all that no, I am not loving my decision to give it up for a week.

Unfortunately, I was home sick today.  I had no idea what I was dealing with except that I had a pounding headache and outstanding dizziness every time I got up.  Naturally, being home with nothing to do, the only thing was to turn to Facebook.  Sure, no one was online to talk to, no one was posting new status updates (except for those lucky college kids who had mornings off), but it was optimal time for Facebook creeping — yes, we all do it.  How else was I going to find out that so-and-so and what’s-his-face broke up after a meaningful, two-week-long relationship?

I know — it’s heartbreaking.

So, naturally, I looked for other means of amusing myself.  I watched “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off” for the 47th time (still funny, by the way).  But when TV began to switch exclusively to daytime talk shows, I had to return to the computer.  My fingers lingered over the keys, and the almost intrinsic instinct to type in www.facebook.com nearly overtook me.  Instead, I went to www.lamebook.com, a website that makes fun of people who post stupid things on Facebook (a prime example being me).  Good start, Beth.

And if you’re wondering if my homework situation has improved … well, it’s currently nine o’clock and this is what I’m doing.  So, what do you think?

February 17, 2010

By the time I got home from musical rehearsal today, I had completely forgotten about my little pact.  I went upstairs, and plopped down in front of my computer.  I had already typed in the address when I realized it:  Oh, crap.  What am I going to do to waste time this evening?
As it turns out, nothing.  I ended up on Youtube (the ultimate time-waster) and after an hour I had no idea where I had originated.  It wasn’t until I clicked on a video of some poor, naive, strange little girl in sweatpants dancing to a Rihanna song that I realized I had a problem.  I had successfully avoided my addiction, but all I was doing was replacing it with an even more pathetic one.
I decided to check my e-mail — something that I rarely do unless absolutely necessary — and found that I had a dozen notifications from (what else?) facebook.  I nearly clicked on one, but I managed to keep my resolve strong.  I tried not to look at the names or actions that the enticing little emails presented, and clicked on the “X.”
I would love to say that the rest of my evening was spent dutifully doing homework, but honestly, the reduction of Facebook is not working any miracles for me in that department.  I still am managing to pass by the time that should be spent working, but now it’s mostly taken up by sitting in my room, staring at various objects for 30 or so minutes at a time.  It’s really quite interesting.  Once a slacker, always a slacker, I guess.
February 18, 2010
I had an epiphany.  A Facebook-related epiphany.  And that sounded really dumb, but it is extremely true.
Facebook is, at times, useful.
And not just for finding out who your “Top 12 Valentine Crushes” are, or even testing out possible career options with totally realistic games like Farmville and Sorority Life (yes, I just suggested that belonging to a sorority is a career option.  How else is a girl supposed to meet her rich, frat-boy husband?), which clearly lead to a great deal of personal growth.
It seems to me that Facebook has become one of the few outlets of communication keeping our social networks intact.  Sure, we still talk to each other face-to-face if we have classes or activities together, but when was the last time you went out of your way to talk to your best friend from eighth grade who decided to take AP Bio while you’re in AP Enviro and, consequently, you never cross paths with?  If you’re like me, it’s been a while.  Now ask yourself this: when was the last time a post from this friend came up in your newsfeed, and you commented or “liked” it?  It’s probably a lot more recent.
I’m not saying that we’ve all become disconnected, or that we’re out of touch with reality.  But I will admit that a lot happens on Facebook, and it’s very easy to feel out of the loop when your friends can all talk to each other and you’re stuck watching TV.
So what I’m trying to say is that Facebook should not dominate my life the way it does.  But denying that it’s an important part of my life is almost as ridiculous as the epic smear campaign that City Life is running against Farmville (puh-lease, City Life.  If I wanted a City Life, I would drive 45 minutes to Chicago.  Know your audience!!!!).  And although it may suck up a great deal of my time, it’s extremely difficult to have a healthy, normal social life without one.
P.S. Don’t hate me if you’re joining a sorority.  I come in peace.
February 19, 2010
I did not miss Facebook today.
It sounds weird even saying it, but I guess I just had a lot on my mind.  Don’t get me wrong, I still was able to find completely unproductive, useless ways to spend my time (four-hour Buffy the Vampire Slayer marathon, much?), but today I wasn’t just using them as a distraction.  I chose not to go on.
I’m not saying that I am completely reformed and that I’m willing to quit cold turkey, but it may be possible to cut down a little.  If there is anything I’ve proved so far, it’s that I don’t need Facebook.  Want — yes.  But it is possible to make it without it.
February 20, 2010
I feel like Odysseus returning to Ithaca.  It has been a long journey, full of boredom, Youtube and a staunch resignation not to do any homework, but I have finally arrived at the promised land.  Alleluia!
Facebook, I have missed you.
Now, I feel a duty to inform you that originally, I intended to hold out a little bit longer.  But due to a Humanities project that requires picture-sharing with the rest of my group, I have to go on Facebook.  My intention was just to get the pictures and keep on going with my fast.
And then I signed on.  I had notifications coming out the wazoo, and as I looked for the one leading me to the album of Frank Lloyd Wright’s neighborhood architecture, I found my eyes lingering over them.  Comments.  Messages.  Statuses.  And I clicked.
And once I started, there was no stopping.  I had returned to a full-fledged Facebook zombie.  It seems like my five days have done little to cure my addiction.
And, in addition, I have developed a few new ones: Youtube, Hulu, Lamebook, you name it.
I would love to be able to tell you that you can successfully cut Facebook out of your life.  And there is some truth to that statement: you need a lot of resolve, and you need to avoid temptation to return.  But I will tell you right now that if you’re as addicted as I am, it’s going to be hard.  In fact, it is going to straight-up suck.  But just because I failed doesn’t mean that you can’t succeed.  So I applaud those of you without a FB, and still have hope for you pioneers who hope to break the vicious cycle.
And if that’s not for you, well, I’m right there with you.