35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    33 °
    33 °
    34 °
    35 °
    37 °
    37 °
    38 °
    38 °
    38 °
    37 °
    37 °
    36 °
    35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    32 °
    31 °
    30 °
    30 °
    29 °
    28 °
    28 °
38°/ 31°
39°/ 27°
51°/ 32°
43°/ 34°
42°/ 30°
47°/ 36°

Local anti-Disneyer's heart not completely made of ice

By Ellen Siefke
Editor-in-Chief
Olaf 1WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD.

Those of you who failed to pay attention at the beginning of the school year — don’t worry, it happens to the best of us — may not have read a certain column written by yours truly decrying Disney. Thus, it should come as no surprise that I am not one of the many fangirls obsessing over the award-winning movie, “Frozen,” who belted out “Let It Go” in the halls.
However, fangirls rejoice; I, Ellen Siefke, local metalhead and Disney nemesis, have finally watched the epic, albeit not under my own will power. Last week, while babysitting for an adorable child we’ll call “Sally,” I was subjected to the ice-covered land of Arendelle.
I expected to watch another cliché Disney classic that would further my anti-Disney mantra, but what I’m about to say may shock the world.
I enjoyed watching “Frozen.” I’ll repeat that again. I enjoyed watching “Frozen.”
No, I’m not softening up; it’s that “Frozen” was actually a decent movie.
Unlike other Disney princess movies, “Frozen” included protagonists and other characters that weren’t shallow pools of vanity. The plot follows Princess Anna, who strives to save her sister, Elsa, who was born with special snow powers, and bring her back to save their hometown, Arendelle, from a never-ending winter.
Sure, the movie isn’t perfect, as it includes a cliché “you need love to be saved,” but I cherished the twist: instead of a man’s love, it was her bond with Elsa that brought her back from the dead (or otherwise ice-encased state).
Furthermore, Disney portrayed Anna more realistically by showing her awkwardness and quirks while still being a fun-loving young adult. She wasn’t this perfect, oppressed angel; she was a normal, angsty girl who wanted more independence. Kristoff, the beloved ice harvester, shares many awkward moments with both Anna and his reindeer, Sven, and channels the spirit of Han Solo by being able to communicate with Sven through telekinesis and grunting.
Let’s take a moment to appreciate the relationship between Kristoff and Anna. Yes, it’s dumb to make them fall in love in a matter of days, but I can overlook that because their relationship develops more naturally than the classic “Girl is madly in love with guy but needs magical forces to intervene and put them together.” They more or less despise each other at first, but their banter and teasing was adorable. And that awkwardness leading up to a sweet kiss at the end was beautiful.
Back to the point at hand. Disney treats both the men and women in this movie much better than in others. Both Anna and Elsa are not the typical damsels in distress, and Hans is not the haggard villain of old. Elsa’s famous refrain, “Let It Go,” perfectly describes this recurring independence and individualism that make this movie less predictable and more relatable.
Confession time: when I arrived home that night, I youtubed “Let It Go” and must have listened to it at least 20 times. Though I won’t be channeling my 5-year-old and purchasing an Elsa costume like Sally, I’ll still gladly join in when my friends and teammates sing it.
Overall, “Frozen” represents a huge step for Disney into the modern era and away from the stale princess tales. I genuinely like this movie, and though it’s not perfect, I would recommend it to virtually anyone. Some Disney movies are worth melting for.