35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    33 °
    33 °
    34 °
    35 °
    37 °
    37 °
    38 °
    38 °
    38 °
    37 °
    37 °
    36 °
    35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    32 °
    31 °
    30 °
    30 °
    29 °
    28 °
    28 °
38°/ 31°
39°/ 27°
51°/ 32°
43°/ 34°
42°/ 30°
47°/ 36°

Do senior lockers matter?

By Jack Ryanphoto (26)
News Editor
Tradition is a word binded to Prospect High School. Traditions like Knight Games and senior pranks have come and gone, and now senior lockers may be coming to an end.
“No senior has told me that they are excited to have their locker on the first floor,” Associate Principal McDermott said.
If incoming seniors don’t care about this tradition anymore, administration might get rid of it since it is not as easy to switch lockers as it may look.
Janitors have to change the combination on every locker that is getting switched, and then a system called the Student Information System (SIS) switches kids’ lockers. If SIS does not work anymore, incoming seniors will not be able to have their lockers switched to the senior hallway.
“If we don’t have a system that switches kids from locker to locker, then it’s out of our hands,” McDermott said.
The final task in switching seniors’ lockers is having enough space. This summer, Prospect built a new set of lockers to accommodate the senior population.
Despite the fact this tradition might leave Prospect, some students feel that it is an important part of their high school careers. One of those students is senior Olivia McAleer.
During her first three years at Prospect, McAleer’s locker was on the third floor while all of her friends’ lockers were on the second floor. She thought of her locker as an inconvenience since she had very few classes on the third floor.
As juniors, McAleer and her friends were excited to switch their lockers because McAleer would finally be able to be around her friends and everyone in her grade.
“I do like how the administration switches seniors to the senior hallway because I think it’s like a privilege,” McAleer said,” and it’s just one of the senior perks.”
Not only does McAleer think it is a privilege to have your locker in the senior hallway, but it would also be more convenient for her and other seniors since most of their classes, like AP Psychology, are on the first floor as well.
As this tradition at Prospect might come to an end in the next few years, McAleer thinks they should keep this tradition so everyone can have the experience she is going to have this coming year.
“I think if they stopped, underclassmen would be upset that they didn’t get to have that experience,” McAleer said. “Even though it is such a minor detail to their senior year, I think a lot of people look forward to it.”
As traditions come and go at Prospect, the administration will try to keep this tradition as long as they can.
“We want to support all positive traditions if that is something that the kids truly believe in,” McDermott said.