35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    33 °
    33 °
    34 °
    35 °
    37 °
    37 °
    38 °
    38 °
    38 °
    37 °
    37 °
    36 °
    35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    32 °
    31 °
    30 °
    30 °
    29 °
    28 °
    28 °
38°/ 31°
39°/ 27°
51°/ 32°
43°/ 34°
42°/ 30°
47°/ 36°

Haunted High School brings together community, school

image (7)By Jordan Dushane
Staff Writer
617 kids between the ages of 9 months to 5th grade walked down the halls of Prospect High School October 30, 2014.  Costumes ranged from “Frozen” characters to monsters, skeletons and many more. Candy filled bowls and bags to the brim and everyone had a smile on their face.
Student Council hosted Haunted High School for the ninth year, and with 20 clubs each having their own room, there were fun and exciting games and crafts. This year was their largest turnout yet.
“It’s very nice,” Maria said. “You guys are doing a great job.”
Maria is a mom that has been taking her kids to this event for three years and first heard about the event on the Prospect website.
Two year old Coraline thought the event was just as fun as her mom, Jen thought. Jen has Coraline and a 9 month year old son. This was their first year, but they believe they will keep coming back in the future.
“It’s been very successful,” she said. “She doesn’t totally get the candy in the bag”.
Although it was Prospect’s biggest turn-out, parents think it’s a safe location to be with kids. Nancy the mother of a 7 and 11 year old have been coming for 4 years.
“The kids like it,” Nancy said. “It’s fun, it’s good, safe fun for the kids”.
This year’s Haunted High School was different in not an obvious way. Some of the student volunteers running the event were there as first graders when it first started.
Freshman Stephanie Chengary started coming when she was 6. Her mom went to school at Prospect and found out through a friend.
“It’s weird to look back, and be like oh my gosh all the high schoolers used to look so old,” she said. “It’s definitely weird, but it’s fun”.
She has come every year until the age limit (5th grade) ran out. This year she worked the event for the “Class of ‘18 Board”.  Being back as a volunteer, Chengary hopes to continue helping out for all four years.
Getting candy and playing games used to be a highlight for her, but the “Haunted Maze” was always her favorite.
The tradition of coming every year to participate has been handed down to her younger sister Charlotte.
Chengary remembered the classrooms differently, now seeing them in a different point of view.
“When I used to go, people were welcoming me, now I’m welcoming them,” Chengary said. “Now, I’m trying to make them have a good time”.