35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    33 °
    33 °
    34 °
    35 °
    37 °
    37 °
    38 °
    38 °
    38 °
    37 °
    37 °
    36 °
    35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    32 °
    31 °
    30 °
    30 °
    29 °
    28 °
    28 °
38°/ 31°
39°/ 27°
51°/ 32°
43°/ 34°
42°/ 30°
47°/ 36°

AP test prices rise again

imgresBy Jack Ryan
News Editor
Over the past couple of years, Advanced Placement (AP) test prices have risen from 84 dollars in 2009 to 89 dollars in 2014. 2015 is no exception to this trend with its price coming in at a whopping 91 dollars.
These high prices have led to criticism from places such as the New York Times and the Atlantic who went as far as to say that AP classes are a scam. According to the New York Times, raising the cost for AP exams has led to some students being turned away from taking the test.
Low income students can receive a fee reduction of 29 dollars, which would lower the cost to 62 dollars. Regardless of the reduction, the test still costs a lot of money. Despite this fact, the College
Board continues to see an increase in the number of students who take the test. According to the College Board, with more students taking the test, they need more people to hand grade the tests, which costs a lot of money.
One way to rationalize the high cost of the AP test is that students can receive college credit from AP tests, if they do well enough, which would be worth more than the fee of 91 dollars. In order for a student to receive college credit on an AP test, depending on the college, students must at least receive higher than a three.
For example, for a student to receive college credit on the AP Human Geography test, a student must receive at least a three for Michigan State University whereas for Northwestern University, a student must receive a five. Some colleges, such as Brown University, do not give any college credit for AP Human Geography.
In the long run, an AP test can save a student money down the road if he or she does well enough and the college he or she attends gives college credit for that class. According to the New York Times, the best option a student has is to see if the college or colleges he or she is interested in gives college credit for the class and go from there.