35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    33 °
    33 °
    34 °
    35 °
    37 °
    37 °
    38 °
    38 °
    38 °
    37 °
    37 °
    36 °
    35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    32 °
    31 °
    30 °
    30 °
    29 °
    28 °
    28 °
38°/ 31°
39°/ 27°
51°/ 32°
43°/ 34°
42°/ 30°
47°/ 36°

School UKnights for breast cancer awareness

By Kelsey Philippe
This year, Prospect had gone through changes, some met with very positive responses, and others … well, not so much. The starched white walls are no exception to this, but this week they bring attention to a serious problem. Banners hung upon these walls,  riddled with pink, glitter, cancer awareness ribbons and a powerful message: breast cancer can happen to anyone, and you need to know the signs.
The start of October marks the beginning of Breast Cancer awareness month, which means that Uknight for a Cure is underway. This year, Prospect will work with Elk Grove to host a “Battle of the Fans.” Through ticket sales and fundraising, both schools will be coming together to raise awareness for a common cause. All funds will be donated to Northwest Community Hospital’s Gift a Mammogram program.
“What we really like is that the money that we raise goes right back into our community, to any men or women that can’t afford a mammogram,” said Daria Schaffeld, former Volley for a Cure Leader, “[Mammograms] are so important to early detection, and again all of it [is] right here in our community.”
Last year, they donated about $11,000 dollars. This year, The U is hoping to continue their efforts and make another generous donation. In order to show that we are one school united together, the theme of the football game is a pink out. This year will also include a special memorial ceremony before the game. Students will be invited to rally together and show that this is a battle that we have to all work together to fight.
All students are encouraged to purchase the pink UKnight for a Cure shirt ($10), available in the commons all lunch hours and at the football game until they sell out. Raffle tickets will also be available through the end of the first quarter of the football game, and the winners will be announced by the end of the game.
Tweet #BattleofthefansPHS to show your support online and help prove which fan section wants to give back the most to their communities. According to junior U leader Bridget Robertson, a very important part of this event is getting the word out there. To get the hashtag trending would be amazing, and making known what we’re doing is even more important. Finally, when you’re at the game, come decked out, come prepared and come ready to get rowdy.
“I think I’m most excited to see the play-off of the title, to see everyone united for a common cause,” Robertson said, “There’s so many kids at Prospect that are affected by it, and we can support them, we’re just a really good community to do [this] with.”