35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    33 °
    33 °
    34 °
    35 °
    37 °
    37 °
    38 °
    38 °
    38 °
    37 °
    37 °
    36 °
    35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    32 °
    31 °
    30 °
    30 °
    29 °
    28 °
    28 °
38°/ 31°
39°/ 27°
51°/ 32°
43°/ 34°
42°/ 30°
47°/ 36°

Adopt a Child program gives back to children in need

By Jess Darcy (@jdarcy8069)
IMG_09172A student from English teacher Karen Kruse’s third period class went down to the College and Career Center and selected a name from the little Christmas tree designated for the Adopt a Child event here at Prospect. She was very excited when she came back up. She told Kruse that she had picked a child who loved to read, and this was perfect since Kruse was an English teacher.
Prospect has been doing the Adopt a Child charity event for more than 20 years according to Service Club sponsor Michelle Tantillo. Northwest Compass runs the program where families come and give their names. These families are usually low-income and don’t have enough money to buy presents for their children. Northwest Compass gives out the names to schools and charities so they can raise money or buy presents for these children.
Each third-period class that chooses to participate goes down to select a name and is supposed to raise money or gifts to give to their selected child. This week, the classes will wrap their gifts and bag them and bring them down to where they are being collected, to then be taken to Northwest Compass.
There is usually a suggestion on the card that says what the child wants, and once the class has raised $50 to $75, then either the teacher or students go and buy the presents for the children.
Tantillo runs the program at Prospect, and says the reason Adopt a Child is such a good idea is because giving back is very important throughout the year, especially during the holiday season.
“I think it’s good to always consider to take care of those who are less fortunate,” Tantillo said. “So, to be able to take [money] as a collective class, each student puts in a couple of dollars, and you can easily hit that mark, and you can buy someone a nice gift that they may never be able to have on their own.”
Kruse agrees, and says that this time of year is a very good motivator to give back and make a difference.
“I think [doing Adopt a Child] is nice, especially this time of year, for people who have a lot, or more than other people, to give back to the community and share,” Kruse said.
Kruse also said it is a good reminder of what it was like being a kid during Christmas time, and how to give that feeling to children who have never gotten to experience that before.
“I think everyone remembers what it was like when they were a little kid,” Kruse said. “You get all excited about Christmas, and you don’t know what you’re going to get, and it’s a magical time of year. But if you’re from a family who can’t afford to get you anything, it’s a [terrible] time of year. Do your parents tell you there is no Santa Claus because that’s better than knowing you were bad and [that’s why] you didn’t get gifts? I just feel like if you can help make a Christmas magical for someone who hasn’t had that, than that’s a good thing.”