35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    33 °
    33 °
    34 °
    35 °
    37 °
    37 °
    38 °
    38 °
    38 °
    37 °
    37 °
    36 °
    35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    32 °
    31 °
    30 °
    30 °
    29 °
    28 °
    28 °
38°/ 31°
39°/ 27°
51°/ 32°
43°/ 34°
42°/ 30°
47°/ 36°

Ghostbusters remake features women, surpasses original

By Cassidy Delahunty, executive entertainment editor

As I’m sure everyoghostbusters_2016_image_012ne who has an internet connection is aware, many have criticized the new Ghostbusters reboot as boring and unoriginal. Some have even called out the newest addition to the franchise, which came out on July 11, as stealing from the originals.
However, despite only five-and-a-half stars out of 10 on IMDB, the Ghostbusters reboot is even better than the original.
Along with some obvious improvements that come with time, such as improved special effects, Ghostbusters excelled in several departments where the original movie lacked. The example that stood out to me the most was the presence of a compelling villain.
Compared to the generic and vaguely threatening demon dogs of the first Ghostbusters, the creepy and entitled man who believes the universe has done him an injustice and will do anything in his power to rectify this perceived inequality is a much more developed character who could be considered a genuinely scary villain.
Along with this, the characters themselves are much more developed. As the original movies had to spend a lot more time setting up the idea of a group of people who hunts ghosts, the four main characters are not extremely unique or irreplaceable.
Two of the characters could have swapped roles, and the story would essentially be exactly the same. The new Ghostbusters has a cast of five unique characters with distinct personalities, who all contribute in a unique way to the storyline.
I could go on about everything else I liked about the movie: better action scenes, more well-written humor, etc., etc. But I think it’s time to acknowledge the elephant in the room.
The Ghostbusters reboot had a cast of main characters composed entirely of women.

While this aspect of the movie was one of – if not the most – highly criticized elements, I thought it improved upon the original movies that much more.
As a woman, I am obviously biased, but seeing a cast of characters that portrayed women as smart, capable and independent was a welcome and much needed change of pace.
Women in movies are often portrayed via the dumb blonde trope or portrayed as little more than props for men to fall in love with. Never was a joke made about a woman’s weight or physical appearance, and never did we get a close up shot of a woman wearing a skin tight body suit.
In fact, the new Ghostbusters wore the same uniforms as the originals: baggy jumpsuits made for function, not fashion.
A complaint I do understand is one regarding Kevin, one of the only male main characters. Some men, upon seeing the new movie, felt as though Kevin was an unfair representation of men.
Kevin was stupid, irresponsible, and always wore clothes that were just a little too tight for what a real man would wear. It is one I have about almost every other movie in regard to female characters.
In countless action and comedy movies, women are often portrayed as one end of an unrealistic dichotomy: either smart or beautiful. Smart women in movies are almost always wearing skin tight clothes, and beautiful women almost always have a very sub-par intelligence level. Almost all women in movies end up with a love interest, who is usually male.
It is for these reasons that the new Ghostbusters was both a good movie and an important one.
Not to further some radical feminist agenda, and not to attempt to reduce men to the role women have been forced to take since the very beginning of movies, but to show that women can and will star in good, entertaining movies from here on out.