35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    33 °
    33 °
    34 °
    35 °
    37 °
    37 °
    38 °
    38 °
    38 °
    37 °
    37 °
    36 °
    35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    32 °
    31 °
    30 °
    30 °
    29 °
    28 °
    28 °
38°/ 31°
39°/ 27°
51°/ 32°
43°/ 34°
42°/ 30°
47°/ 36°

Political figures visit AP Gov, AmStud classes

By Caley Griebenow, associate editor-in-chief
Instead of going to his normal AP Government class last Wednesday, Oct 5., senior Evan Sadlon joined his second period class in the theater, along with another AP Gov. class and an American Studies class. The approximately 100 students had the unique opportunity to listen to democratic nominee for the House of Representatives Brad Schneider. Schneider is running against republican Bob Dold. The candidates are vying to represent Illinois’s 10th Congressional District.
For Sadlon, listening to Schneider talk and answer questions offered an atypical perspective on politics.  
“It was interesting to hear real political operatives talk about their careers [and] how anyone can be a part of the political scene,” Sadlon said. “ “It was cool.”
According to AP Gov. teacher Tim Beishir, he anticipated that Schneider’s presentation would allow the students to get an idea of what political campaigns are really like.
“I just hoped that it would peel back the curtain and take things out of the conceptual- textbook environment,” Beishir said. “These people are living this day-to-day; what’s it really like? [I hoped] they would give us some insider information.”
Beishir was overall impressed with Schneider’s presentation, and he noted that Schneider was able to get the students engaged.
Schneider’s presentation included him talking about his career, but most of the time was devoted to answering questions. The audience of students asked questions including how congressional races are ran and won, what issues impact the race and how Schneider plans to help small businesses.  
AP Gov. students were also visited by Bob Dold’s staff, including his director of operations and his deputy political director on Sept. 21. The format was similar to that of Schneider’s visit; they discussed their role in the campaign, then they answered questions. They also discussed the fact that Dold is not supporting presidential candidate Donald Trump, which is interesting to note since congressmen usually support candidates of the same party.
Dold first visited Beishir’s class back in 2010, the same year he beat Schneider for the House of Representatives position. The seat has gone back and forth between the two ever since.
Overall, Beisher appreciates the fact that Schneider and Dold’s staff took the time out of their schedule to talk to Prospect students.
“It’s beautiful that we’re able to bring in people who are involved in campaigns for the U.S. Congress,” Beishir said.