35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    33 °
    33 °
    34 °
    35 °
    37 °
    37 °
    38 °
    38 °
    38 °
    37 °
    37 °
    36 °
    35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    32 °
    31 °
    30 °
    30 °
    29 °
    28 °
    28 °
38°/ 31°
39°/ 27°
51°/ 32°
43°/ 34°
42°/ 30°
47°/ 36°

Schedule changes to come for Date Safe Project’s 'Can I Kiss You?' assembly

By Ayse Eldes, executive opinion editor
After teaching sociology classes with junior and senior students, Social Science teacher Kristen Ray has realized that safe dating is an extremely overlooked topic of discussion.
“They just assume ‘oh yeah, people go on dates, people do this, people know what to do,’” Ray said.  “And I feel like just from teaching it, no, people don’t know dating…etiquette. Like what’s okay and what’s not okay.”
Ray looks forward to Prospect’s school-wide assembly on Monday:The Date Safe Project’s “Can I Kiss You?” Ray is especially excited about the presentation’s nature of student engagement in it. This unprecedented assembly topic will be presented by project founder Mike Domitrz. Since Dormitrz’s sister was sexually assaulted in 1989, he has devoted his life to helping protect others.
Dormitrz’s visit to Prospect will bring some changes to the schedule for students. According to Physical Education teacher Aaron Marnstein, there will be two separate presentations in the field house during second period classes on Nov. 21. Freshmen and sophomores will be in one group, and juniors and seniors will be another group. The presentations will be separate to address different problems that these different age groups come across.
According to Marnstein, part of the reason the assembly is replacing second period because there was a specific time Dormitrz could be there. First hour will be used to get everything set up, adjust the sound system, and make sure everyone is prepared. Underclassmen should attend their first period class and the assembly during their second period class. Upperclassmen should go to first period, third period, and then the assembly during their second period. There will be no second period classes on Nov. 21.
“The administration worked on this for a while,” Marnstein said.  “Sometimes to facilitate things we feel are important, other things need to be rearranged.”
Greg Minter, Associate Principal for Student Services, stated that this schedule would be less disruptive than trying to enforce an untraditional bell schedule. Minter confirmed that the presentations for the two different groups won’t be entirely different, but the content will acknowledge the upcoming college dilemmas for juniors and seniors.
Ray will be attending the presentation with her sophomores though her sociology classes are composed of junior and senior students. She plans on exchanging notes with colleagues to compare the assemblies.
“I’m kind of upset because I teach the topic to my juniors and seniors. I’m curious because I’m only going to one,” Ray said. “I kind of wonder what the difference will be. I think the topic is great.”