35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    33 °
    33 °
    34 °
    35 °
    37 °
    37 °
    38 °
    38 °
    38 °
    37 °
    37 °
    36 °
    35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    32 °
    31 °
    30 °
    30 °
    29 °
    28 °
    28 °
38°/ 31°
39°/ 27°
51°/ 32°
43°/ 34°
42°/ 30°
47°/ 36°

'News' year off to a rocky start

By Anthony Romanelli, opinion editor 
Remember when 2016 was the crazy year? 2017 has so far proven just as unpredictable in regard to news. This summer, a huge amount of new developments, standoffs, protests and summits rocked the world. A few key stories can sometimes slip through the cracks, but gathered here are some important international, national, local news stories the Prospector reader needs to know in summer 2017.
Internationally, a World War III is on the horizon, and it’s not Russia this time. North Korea, an openly anti-American and Communist nation, claims it has sufficient nuclear capabilities to attack Guam, a dependent territory of the United States. The air base and other facilities on Guam host about 180,000 people that are now at risk of a nuclear strike. North Korean dictator Kim Jong-un, despite his reputation for illogical and ridiculous decisions (his haircut chief among them), he knows that in order to prevent his country from becoming the next Libya, he must constantly demonstrate his nuclear capabilities.
President Trump has promised a retaliatory strike if North Korea refuses to back down. The real danger, however, is North Korea’s ability to strike United States allies in Asia, notably Japan and South Korea. If the North Koreans truly possess the ability to destroy Guam, they would have no trouble destroying Seoul or Tokyo. This seems unlikely, however, as America has enough nuclear warheads to destroy the planet several times over. Whether Kim adheres to logic or attempts to assert his “dominance” through mass murder is anyone’s guess.
Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-40913650
Within the nation, a white supremacist rally turned violent in Charlottesville, Virginia. A group of white nationalists under the motto of “Unite the Right” accompanied by militia forces carrying guns and military surplus gear marched to protest the removal of a Confederate monument from the town. Counter-protesters met them and shortly after violence broke out.
Both sides appear to have been armed, and several photographs have circulated of a group of these domestic terrorists beating a man with poles. About two hours after Virginia’s governor called in the National Guard, a car crashed into a group of counter-protesters, killing 1 and injuring 19 others. The suspect, James Fields, is in police custody. Attorney General Sessions and President Trump have both personally condemned the violence, and have promised to seek an end to bigotry and racism in America.
Source: http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/13/us/charlottesville-white-nationalist-rally-car-crash/index.html
Locally, 6,000 tickets have been sold for the upcoming Chicago Bears practice in the George Gattas Memorial Stadium right here at Prospect. After school ends at 3:10 PM next Thursday Prospect will host a students-only tailgating party, and there will be a special student section for the practice. Mr. Mirándola is expecting a large student presence and already extra bleachers have been brought in, as the stadium can only hold 4,900 on its own. Parking lots open at 3:30 and the practice is expected to finish around 7:45, at which point a brief autograph session is expected.
Source: http://www.dailyherald.com/news/20170811/tickets-for-chicago-bears-practice-at-prospect-high-go-quickly