35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    33 °
    33 °
    34 °
    35 °
    37 °
    37 °
    38 °
    38 °
    38 °
    37 °
    37 °
    36 °
    35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    32 °
    31 °
    30 °
    30 °
    29 °
    28 °
    28 °
38°/ 31°
39°/ 27°
51°/ 32°
43°/ 34°
42°/ 30°
47°/ 36°

Anti Abortion Laws Cause Controversy

By Brendan Burke, Copy Editor 
In 1973, the U.S. Supreme Court was hit with the life-changing case Roe v. Wade, a lawsuit that would allow women to get abortions in the United States because of rights granted by the fourteenth amendment. Now, over four decades later, new pieces of legislation have been passed throughout the U.S. that attempt to overturn Roe v. Wade.
The states that have recently joined the wave of passing more restrictive abortion laws include Georgia, Alabama, Arkansas, Kentucky, Mississippi, Utah, Ohio and Missouri. However, the states that have been getting the most publicity due to the recent implementation of these bills are Georgia and Alabama.
On May 7, Georgia Governor Brian Kemp signed a law that would no longer allow abortions after a doctor can detect a fetal heartbeat. In a typical pregnancy, the heartbeat is first detected around six weeks, which means women in the state of Georgia would not be able to get an abortion past that point.
In fact, women caught getting abortions past six weeks can serve a maximum sentence of up to 10 years in prison, along with the doctor who carried out the operation. However, this law is not set to take effect until January 1, 2020 and will likely get challenged all the way up to the Supreme Court due to its interference with Roe v. Wade.
Alabama followed Georgia on May 15 when Governor Kay Ivey signed a similar anti abortion bill into law. Ivey said that the bill is not enforceable due to the result of Roe v. Wade, but she hopes that this new law will challenge it in the Supreme Court.
These new pieces of legislation have sparked major controversy amongst many U.S. citizens all over the country. Many Democrats, women and activist groups have formed rallies and protests in order to fight these laws. In fact, the issue is even being seen around Prospect as many students have started to have conversations about being pro-life versus being pro-choice.
States such as Alabama and Georgia have caused major controversy in the United States and many estimate that it will not be over for at least three more years. At the end of the day, there are arguments on both sides that are dividing the government. These new laws are even causing a divide within the two political parties because people like Fox Nation conservative commentator Tomi Lahren do not agree with the majority of their party’s viewpoint.
“I will be attacked by fellow conservatives for saying this but so be it, this Alabama abortion ban is too restrictive,” Lahren said. “It doesn’t save life, it simply forces women into more dangerous methods, other states or countries.