35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    33 °
    33 °
    34 °
    35 °
    37 °
    37 °
    38 °
    38 °
    38 °
    37 °
    37 °
    36 °
    35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    32 °
    31 °
    30 °
    30 °
    29 °
    28 °
    28 °
38°/ 31°
39°/ 27°
51°/ 32°
43°/ 34°
42°/ 30°
47°/ 36°

Prospector Political Publish Week #9: Soleimani death poses possibility of new war

khamenei.ir

Any teenager that has gone onto Instagram or TikTok during the first week of this new decade is already well aware of a new viral meme: World War III. This trend started after the media was informed of the airstrike orchestrated by President Donald Trump on top Iranian general Qasem Soleimani near an airport in Baghdad, Iraq on Jan. 3. 

Another World War is not going to formulate after the events, but after Iran fired over a dozen missiles on Tuesday in response to the death, Americans everywhere are wondering if another war is at stake. Much of this worry is largely due to Trump’s Jan. 4 tweet in which he stated that the United States had spent $2 trillion in order to defend against Iran if another attack would occur. 

“If Iran attacks an American Base, or any American, we will be sending some of that brand new beautiful equipment their way,” Trump said in the aforementioned tweet.

When Trump addressed the nation on Wednesday regarding Iran’s retaliation for the death of Soleimani, he stated that sanctions will be placed on the country and is now prepared to negotiate peace. However, the status of this issue is constantly changing from day to day because all of the new discoveries and tensions made. For instance, this story that was started on Tuesday had to be rewritten twice because of the immense changes that occurred this week.

“Iran appears to be standing down, which is a good thing for all parties concerned and a very good thing for the world,” Trump said in his address.

Iran may be standing down, but newspapers everywhere began reporting on Thursday that an Iranian surface-to-air missile was responsible for the crash of an Ukranian airplane that killed all 138 passengers. Trump said in a press conference that he has “suspicions” about how the plane crashed and believes that Iran took down the aircraft by mistake. It is not 100% factual to claim Iran is responsible for this tragedy, but a video of the plane crashing has increased worldwide tension on this issue.

With only a week and a half into a decade that was supposed to be full of change, it appears America is in yet another conflict with a Middle Eastern nation. With the possibility of war at hand, partisan backlash is high within the American government. Many conservatives around the country were confused by the backlash from Democrats due to the fact that Soleimani ordered the creation of explosive devices that killed a minimum of 500 American troops in 2015. 

In fact, the House of Representatives passed a resolution on Thursday to limit Trump’s military powers with the Iran conflict. It will now go along to the Senate and it is unsure of how the voting is going to go due to the fact that many Republican and Democrat representatives crossed party lines while voting on this resolution. 

Americans that are annoyed about this week’s immense partisan fighting need to strap in and remember that 2020 is going to see another election, rising tensions in the Middle East, an impeachment trial and another State of the Union Address. We’re merely in the calm before the storm — welcome to 2020!