PROSPECT TEACHERS VOTE FOR RETURN TO EIGHT-PERIOD SCHEDULE

The+above+schedule+was+proposed+for+the+2021-22+school+year%2C+but+Prospect+staff+voted+to+return+to+the+traditional+eight-period+schedule.+

The above schedule was proposed for the 2021-22 school year, but Prospect staff voted to return to the traditional eight-period schedule.

Alyssa Schulz, Editor-in-Chief

On Feb. 26, the Prospect staff voted to keep the traditional eight-period schedule instead of transferring to a block schedule for the 2021-22 school year. Each school in District 214 voted separately on this matter. 

All schools in the district, aside from PHS, opted for a block schedule. Although more than half of the PHS staff voted for a block schedule, the 3/5 majority required for this change was not met.

According to PHS Head Education Association Building Representative Tim McDermott, a 3/5 majority was needed because the Education Association (EA) required a higher threshold than a simple majority when deciding major changes such as scheduling. The EA is made up of over 800 certified staff members in District 214. 

McDermott states that the schools in District 214 voted separately for the same reason; each building wanted the autonomy to make their own decision on such an important topic.

Even though PHS will be on a different schedule than the rest of the districts, Associate Principal Kara Kendrick says the PHS students can expect to take classes, such as AP Research or Calculus 3, at other schools in the district like they have in previous years. She states that division heads from buildings involved with these shared classes are currently working to make this possible.

Although some students and parents may not be happy with returning to an eight-period schedule, Kendrick stresses that the administration and staff’s top priority is to ensure that students are not “overwhelmed or maxed out” by the amount of homework that they have.

“It is most important to [the staff and administration] that students are well-rounded,” Kendrick said. “[We want] students to have the opportunity to participate in activities and extracurriculars without feeling like they won’t be able to get through their homework.”