35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    33 °
    33 °
    34 °
    35 °
    37 °
    37 °
    38 °
    38 °
    38 °
    37 °
    37 °
    36 °
    35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    32 °
    31 °
    30 °
    30 °
    29 °
    28 °
    28 °
38°/ 31°
39°/ 27°
51°/ 32°
43°/ 34°
42°/ 30°
47°/ 36°

Concern of tuition increase causes college worry

By Jane Berry

Staff Writer

uofidome3[1]

The University of Illinois will be raising tuition a substantial amount, rumors say almost 20 percent, next year because the Illinois government owes the school approximately $487 million dollars.

Terese Geraghty, a senior at Prospect, is deciding between Michigan State and The University of Illinois. With this increase the schools will have almost an even tuition, even with the benefits of living in state. For most students  this makes the potential for them look a little closer at Michigan.

“I don’t know how much it will affect my decision, my parents say not to worry about it, just find the best fit,” Geraghty said, “but at the same time [the tuition increase] is always in the back of my head.”

Jeff Nellessen, a junior at University of Illinois and also an alum of class of 2007, had not yet heard of the increase of tuition, but wasn’t surprised.

“I am financially independent so I will probably just take more loans out” Nellessen said. Nellesen also realizes that he has a tuition lock, meaning that his tuition wont increase. As for the rest of the school, Nellessen guesses that professors will have to take more “furlough days”. These are unpaid days when professors “can’t check e-mail, can’t answer phones, and can’t meet with students”.

It is not just the University of Illinois that is having such a drastic tuition increase. Many state universities, such as Western Illinois University, are also increasing their tuition fees. The Illinois government owes Western approximately $30 million dollars and Western will be increasing its tuition by about nine percent. Many schools are cutting back on everything, reducing teacher paychecks, and considering borrowing money.

There are many things that students hear about and it just passes in one ear and out the other. When some of the most attended state universities have an increase in tuition, research is done. University of Illinois confirms that no set increase has been decided and will not be decided till early summer.

Geraghty has been in contact with her counselor throughout her decision-making process. “I emailed back my counselor about the tuition increase and scholarship opportunities and how it will affect me” Geraghty said.

Like most students, Terese is still waiting to hear back about some scholarships, hopefully coming sometime this month. Scholarships can really make the difference between the two schools for Geraghty.

Whether or not money is an issue, a sharp increase in tuition is always a concern.