Fitness Center Open to Students After School

photo by Marina Makropoulos

Marina Makropoulos, Online News Editor

The navy and columbia blue-striped walls of Prospect’s fitness center provide a solution for students looking to get in a workout after school and to avoid paying gym membership fees. 

Open on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays after school from 3:30-4:30 p.m., the center offers students an escape from the stresses of the school day, which was not previously available during the 2020-21 school year due to remote learning and the COVID-19 pandemic. 

Daily updates regarding the exact days it is open each week are posted to Schoology on the PHS Student Announcements, as well as the reminder that the activity bus leaves at 4:30 p.m.

Administrative Assistant and after-school supervisor of the fitness center Yesenia Ortega said the amount of students who come each day varies, but she believes that more students will slowly start to come as they find out about the option. 

There are various COVID-19 protocols students must follow when using the fitness center, according to Ortega, which include wearing masks, wiping down the equipment after using it and socially distancing from each other.

Ortega tries to spread the word about this opportunity, as she likes to see students get involved and have a good time by working out.

“Ultimately, I hope that more kids know about it, and more kids start coming to it as well so that [they] take advantage of it,” Ortega said.