Hubert Piskorz

Prospect Donation Drive Helps Vets During the Holidays

November 14, 2021

As the holiday season starts to roll around the corner, most of us are fortunate to have a roof over our heads, food on our table and clothes on our backs. This is not the case with many homeless veterans.

This November, Prospect staff and faculty have created a donation drive for many veterans to be more comfortable this holiday season. The donation will accumulate move-in-essentials for homeless veterans donated to a US Military Outreach program. Items may include personal hygiene products, kitchen & cleaning supplies, bathroom items, etc. 

Molly Klein is a foreign language teacher at Prospect and is in charge of the drive.

“This donation coincides with the season of Providing that has been promoted by ASB. Alongside the canned food drive, this is a great opportunity for Prospect and our community to show appreciation to veterans for their service,” Klein said. 

Psych teacher Daria Schaffeld had donation boxes in her classes and allowed students to donate any necessary goods. Schaffeld had this say about what she thought of this year’s donation event.

“I think it’s great that students can get involved in their community; I also think it’s great that this isn’t going to be just a school event but an event for the community to participate in too,” Schaffeld said. 

This event started as a similar drive created by a student at Prospect a couple years ago. The movement going on today started a year ago but due to the pandemic had to be concealed. Staff such as Klein is hoping to continue the event.

“We were hoping to revive this event this year to help Prospect students understand the importance of service and helping others,” Klein said. 

To some students and families, this drive has made a difference in their daily lives and gives these veterans and their families a little help to get through difficult times. To Klein, the drive hits close as her family has a history of serving in the military. Her husband, Jason, served with the first of the 147th Assault Helicopter Battalion for ten years in Madison, Wisconsin. Both Klein’s grandfathers and her husband’s grandfathers served as well. 

The donations will continue until the November, 23 boxes for items are located in classrooms and by Door 6. 

All wanted donatable goods at the bottom.