New Coffee Stand ‘Perks’ up Prospect

February 14, 2022

Fresh coffee, flavorful tea and an opportunity for students to learn real-world skills. Prospect Perks is a new student-operated coffee cart located in The Hub of Prospect Highschool. Prospect Perks started on January 13th and is an extension of Prospect’s URise program.

In the Urise courses, students learn and build independent living skills: watering plants, delivering mail and now operating a coffee cart.

Special education teacher, Kathleen Rafferty, modeled Prospect Perks after a similar and very successful student-operated coffee cart in Forest View which has been running for over six years, called Forest Brew.

The goal of Prospect Perks is to expose the URise students to different scenarios including handling money, interacting with customers, washing dishes and of course making coffee or tea.

“We’re just really happy to be here and I know that my students are too,” Rafferty said.

As of right now the cart offers coffee and tea for $1 cash on B days from 9:00 am to 10:45 am but they hope to expand their menu to include iced coffee and hot chocolate in the future. So give Prospect Perks a visit the next time you need an early-morning pick me up.

View Comments(1)

ProspectorNow • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

• A

Ashley PappasFeb 17, 2022 at 11:00 pm

I love Prospect Perks! When I get my coffee I always get welcomed with a big smile.

Reply
1