Students in 2018 participate in the homecoming powder toss. (photo courtesy Twitter.)

Powder toss tradition changes for 2022

September 7, 2022

The popular Prospect powder toss tradition of about 10 years has been changed this year. Instead of everyone getting ready to throw their powder all at once, the goal is to do it in small groups of about 15-20. 

Assistant Principal for Activities and Operations, Frank Mirandola thinks this is a way of modernizing the tradition. 

“It’s to make it more kind of Instagram [or] snapchat worthy of creating cool photos of friends and groups,” Mirandola said.

A group of staff members came together and reflected on last year’s events and came up with this new format to create a safer and better experience for everyone. This is a strategy to prevent people from eagerly lining up at the fence and then stampeding to the bleachers after.

This change is a way of helping the tradition become safer without getting rid of it since the crowds of students continue to grow. 

“Our crowds continue to get larger. So you throw more people into the current or the previous format. And there are some questions we have to start asking ourselves whether or not we can continue with the existing format,” Mirandola said.

Although not everyone is in favor of this method because the powder toss is typically a fun experience, this gives the students an opportunity for a different experience.

Senior Nick Casaletto, who has participated in the powder toss for two years now, has his doubts about the change of the tradition.

“It is definitely a safer way to go through with it, but I think it takes away part of the culture of it. Everyone meeting there for just one big game and then throwing up the powder,” Casaletto said.

Mirandola has no doubts that the event will still be a success. 

“We’re excited about having a new format and having people still have the powder experience but yet still be able to eliminate the other things that we are concerned about,” Mirandola said.