Dedicated: French Club students help out at Haunted High School, one of the many events the club is present at. The students are looking forward to an upcoming trip to Chicago. (Photo taken from @prospectfrench’s Instagram)

Alliance Française trip on horizon

November 1, 2022

French 3 students will head out to the Alliance Française building in Chicago on November 14 to bake a French themed pizza dish and dessert and to watch a movie in French. The trip is sponsored by French teacher Ashley Brown who is in her second year of teaching at Prospect. Brown found a passion for the language in high school and has stuck with it ever since. 

“My French class was so much different than all of the other subjects,” Brown said.

Brown started her French education at Libertyville High School and continued to get her undergraduate at DePaul University in Chicago, as well as her masters in French at the University of New Mexico. 

Her degrees shine through in the classroom where she implements different methods of education. The main focus of French 3 is to be able to speak the language better. Depending on how the class feels, Brown tries to engage the students in different ways. 

“I try to incorporate activities that use all of the different modes of communication,” Brown said.

The upcoming field trip is one of the many ways Brown tries to make the class fun for her students. The trip has been a hit in the past, and students come back with lasting memories.

“[The students] really enjoyed being able to make a French dish and a dessert, and then getting to eat it together with their friends,” Brown said. 

Brown is looking forward to the trip, and she hopes that each French student will be able to travel to France one day, whether it’s through the exchange senior year or on their own.

“There are many French speakers around the world and so it’s a really important language to learn,” Brown said.