35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    33 °
    33 °
    34 °
    35 °
    37 °
    37 °
    38 °
    38 °
    38 °
    37 °
    37 °
    36 °
    35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    32 °
    31 °
    30 °
    30 °
    29 °
    28 °
    28 °
38°/ 31°
39°/ 27°
51°/ 32°
43°/ 34°
42°/ 30°
47°/ 36°

Old outdoor space, brand new appearance

NATURE: The courtyard’s renovations were made to increase its functionality, visual appeal, and natural beauty (photo courtesy of Justin Peabody).

Associate Principal for Activities and Operations Frank Mirandola led over 60 members of the Class of 1963 and the Class of 1973 on a campus tour on Sept.16. One stop on their tour, the courtyard, was somewhere that many of the alumni had never been before. The few that had ventured into the courtyard recalled seeing wild pheasants and peacocks roaming the space when they were students. To this day, neither Mirandola nor anyone else knows how the wild birds arrived in the courtyard. 

While the origins of the pheasants in the courtyard are a mystery, one fact is crystal clear: the courtyard looks very different than it ever has in Prospect history. Mirandola, along with Principal Minter, Building and Grounds Supervisor Jorge Villagomez, and Associate Principal for Student Services Kara Kendrick, have collaborated over many recent changes that have transformed the courtyard’s appearance. 

In past years, people could venture out into the courtyard if they wished, but the space was crowded with overgrown bushes and ground cover. As a result, Mirandola says it was not very usable and lacked practical purpose for the Prospect community. Starting late last school year, the Building and Grounds Team, led by Villagomez, uprooted and removed all the overgrown shrubbery and ground cover. They also cleaned a large concrete wall on one side of the courtyard near the doors. It had become dark, heavily stained, and worn in appearance because it had not been cleaned since Prospect’s early years in the late 1950s.

With the undesirable elements of the courtyard removed, administration was left with a clear space to brainstorm their vision of what the courtyard’s new layout would be. Together, they decided that the space would benefit from seating areas, so two pods of four chairs were added in two corners of the courtyard, and a picnic table was placed on the far side of the space. A gravel walkway lines the perimeter of the courtyard and connects the two sets of chairs.

A water feature existed in the center of the courtyard, but administration decided to refurbish its appearance as well. All the fountain’s pipes were replaced, so visitors to the space can enjoy the gentle sound of running water. A new tree sapling was also planted near the water fountain along with other new perennial plantings scattered throughout the space.

Mirandola believes the renovations made to the courtyard have made the area more inviting and accessible to the school.

“[The courtyard is] in the middle of the school, it’s a safe place, and it’s really something that almost half of our classrooms overlook, so we wanted something that really kind of elevated the Prospect experience. We’re still in the process of doing that, but it’s really kind of a nice noticeable first step for us,” Mirandola said.

To exhibit the upgrades made to the courtyard, administration held an informal opening on Tuesday, Oct. 3, which administration referred to as “Coffee in the Courtyard.” Several coffee tables were set up in the courtyard, and all Prospect staff were invited to sip a beverage and enjoy the peacefulness of the space. 

Although the courtyard is now more approachable for teachers, Mirandola says he is uncertain how the space will be changed and utilized in the coming months and years. Currently, the space is reserved for staff use only, but administration has discussed the possibility of opening it for student use as well. However, they must consider how that could affect the first-floor classrooms that have a direct view of the courtyard. Mirandola says that students in those classrooms could be distracted from learning if they see other students outside in the courtyard.

“[The courtyard] is a beautiful space…there’s a lot of nice stuff out here. There’s a ton of value to being able to revive that access. It’s just a matter of thinking through all the variables to make sure it’s the best case for all stakeholders,” Mirandola said.

Mirandola is also considering collaborating with student organizations, such as the U Rise program, to install even more new plantings in the courtyard. Other changes to the space will be decided on as time passes, but Mirandola is pleased with the progress that has been made thus far.

“[I want to give] a huge shout out to our Building and Grounds Team for all their hard work in this space to transform it from something that’s overgrown and unusable to a space that has quickly become a source of pride and serenity for the campus due to their hard work and dedication to this project,” Mirandola said.