Former English teacher Erik Hammerstrom fist pumps senior Nick Carlucci as he says goodbye to students at the end of the school day. Hammerstrom enjoys his new job as a security guard because he gets to see familiar faces. 
Leanna Kewarkis
Categories:

Former English teacher Erik Hammerstorm is back connecting with students in a new found role

After only 65 days of retirement, former Prospect English teacher Erik Hammerstrom decided he wanted to return to Prospect in a different role.

Over the summer, District 214 added more security guard spots and hours to the spots, which then led to Hammerstrom applying for the job. 

Hammerstrom knew he didn’t just want to stay at home after his retirement last school year, so he became a security guard. He likes his new role as a security guard because it keeps him busy and out of the house. 

Additionally, Hammerstrom feels as though the new role is perfect for him due to his familiarity with the school and community.

“I think it’s a good fit,” Hammerstrom said. “Mostly because I know a lot of people.”

This knowledge allows Hammerstrom to connect with students well, including his former students, and give people directions easily around the school. Hammerstrom didn’t have to get acclimated to the environment since none of it was new to him. 

Despite knowing the school and students well, there are new aspects to the job of being a security guard Hammerstrom has learned. Such as the importance of communication with other security guards, and constantly checking his phone for updates.

“We want to keep people safe and make sure [the] school [is] functioning well and students are where they are supposed to be and [doing] what they need to be doing,” Hammerstrom said.  “And it’s important to being able to support them personally too.”

Hammerstrom’s son, junior Kirk Hammerstrom, upon hearing of his father’s retirement, was not prepared for him to be out of the building.

“It was definitely a change from having him in the building,” Kirk said. “I wasn’t really ready to see him retire and I don’t think he was [ready to leave] either. I think he definitely wanted to retire, but coming back was definitely good for him.”

Kirk enjoys having Hammerstrom back in the building, and now gets to see him more often than he did when he was a teacher.

“It’s definitely just funny to see him. I say like ‘Oh What’s up Hammer’ and he’s like ‘Oh hey,’” Kirk said. 

Hammerstrom is grateful for this time that he gets to spend back at school in the community and plans on staying a security guard as long as Prospect wants him to be one.
“I enjoy what I’m doing, ” Hammerstrom said. “Right now it’s a great position … we got a great team and it’s been fun to be back.”