35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    33 °
    33 °
    34 °
    35 °
    37 °
    37 °
    38 °
    38 °
    38 °
    37 °
    37 °
    36 °
    35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    32 °
    31 °
    30 °
    30 °
    29 °
    28 °
    28 °
38°/ 31°
39°/ 27°
51°/ 32°
43°/ 34°
42°/ 30°
47°/ 36°

Rebels with a cause: Local bands raise money for women and children in need

By Nabi Dressler
Staff Writer
Some of the hottest local rock bands performed a show for a good cause on Sunday, Oct. 4. The gig took place at Gallery Park Amphitheater in Glenview, located just off Chestnut Street.
Many locals took part in Fall Fest 2010: Rock Band Showcase, sponsored by the Glenview Park District, and among these bands was Stormfront, a band with Prospect High School roots.
Stormfront is a local Mount Prospect and Des Plaines band led by lead vocalist and rhythm guitarist Ryan Sevilla, a former Prospect student.
Young teenage musicians from nearby suburbs performed covers of their favorite bands and songs, including Jimmy Eat World’s song “The Middle,” Green Day’s “Holiday,” AC/DC’s “Highway to Hell,” KISS’ “Rock N’ Roll All Night” and Guns N’ Roses’ “Sweet Child O’ Mine.”
Though the bands were from a variety of cities around the area, they united for the same reason yesterday: to raise money for the organization WINGS.
Women in Need Growing Stronger is a program “committed to addressing the needs of women and children who are homeless or suffering the devastating effects of domestic violence.” They help needy women and children find decent, affordable housing, career guidance and child care.
Starting at 2:30 p.m., WINGS accepted donations and contributions until the finale of the show at approximately 6:30 p.m.
Other bands that performed included the Homewreckers, Radio Edit, Northbrook Garage, Mount Prospect-based Inferno, AAA, Bam Hammer and Cannons of Rhetoric.
To raise money for this charitable organization, fifteen-year-old Christopher Hoffmann, a Des Plaines resident, Maine West student and lead guitarist of Stormfront, was one of the young musicians that performed at the gig.
Ryan Sevilla, frontman of Stormfront and a former Prospect student, said being in the spotlight while performing at the event and at other events is “fun, [but] maybe a little nerve-wracking at times.”
Hoffmann’s father was in the crowd, watching Chris, as well as his other son, Nick, the lead vocalist and main guitarist of the band Inferno, perform onstage with their bands. He said it’s a blast to see them perform live in front of people, while developing social skills at the same time.
Sunday’s show helped raise money for a good cause, and the Hoffmann boys were surely preparing for it, Hoffmann explained.
“The house is hardly ever quiet,” he said. “If one’s not practicing, the other one is.”
Hoffmann, Sr., who does not perform, is behind the scenes, proudly putting shows like this together for his kids. He’s even gotten just about an entire recording studio in his basement he’s especially proud of, loaded with high-end instruments and gear for his kids to practice on for charity shows like this one.
“It’s very satisfying, having [my sons] play up there,” he said. “I live vicariously through them.”