35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    33 °
    33 °
    34 °
    35 °
    37 °
    37 °
    38 °
    38 °
    38 °
    37 °
    37 °
    36 °
    35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    32 °
    31 °
    30 °
    30 °
    29 °
    28 °
    28 °
38°/ 31°
39°/ 27°
51°/ 32°
43°/ 34°
42°/ 30°
47°/ 36°

A royal affair

Senior Sophia Rigopoulos dances with a senior citizen at the Intergenerational Prom. The dance was held on Saturday, April 10 at Forest View Educational Center. (Photo courtesy of David Jacobson)

By Khrystyna Halatyma
Staff Writer
The first time senior Nicole Muscarello went to Intergenerational Prom her freshman year, she was freaking out. With only her friends’ assurance that she would have a good time, Muscarello didn’t know what else to expect.
Going to a dance that was made for younger kids to dance with older people made Muscarello think of one word: awkwardness. Once Muscarello got to the prom, she realized that there was nothing to be nervous about because it was a very relaxed and fun environment.
Intergenerational Prom is a dance for all the District 214 high school students and senior citizens in the area. This year’s theme was “Royal Affair,” inspired by the royal wedding between Prince William and Kate Middleton, which will take place on April 29. “Wizard of Oz,” “Grease,” and “A Masquerade Ball” themes were also on the table, but when the committee voted, the Royal Wedding theme took the cake.
The dance was held at the Forest View Educational Center on Saturday, April 10. Overall about 150 people attended, including high school students from Buffalo Grove, Wheeling, Prospect and Rolling Meadows.
For just $5, students and senior citizens received dinner, dessert and entertainment from a DJ. Sixteen Prospect students and four graduates came to the dance.
When dancing with senior citizens, Muscarello, who was a member of the planning committee, had a lot of fun and realized they weren’t intimidating — just really friendly. Muscarello’s partner taught her the waltz and other dances they used to do when they were in high school.
“It was kind of weird,” Muscarello said. “[My partner] kept stepping on my feet and I kept getting frustrated, but he was really encouraging, so it was fun to learn.”
“Intergenerational Prom is amazing,” Muscarello said. “It’s not your typical high school dance; it’s a new experience.”
Muscarello also loved hanging out with kids from other schools as well as being part of planning the whole event.
Other than Muscarello, senior Sophia Rigopoulos and junior Kristen Klippert were also a part of the committee. Muscarello got started with the prom through Service Club. According to Service Club Coordinator David Jacobson, District 214 has been holding the Intergenerational Prom for about 20 years.
When Muscarello started going to the committee she wasn’t sure if she would like working with older people. But by the end, Muscarello had realized she was working with a great group.
“You should at least try [Intergenerational Prom] one time before you graduate,” Muscarello said. “If you don’t like it, you don’t have to go back, but it’s such a fun experience that you’ll probably keep wanting to go back.”