35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    33 °
    33 °
    34 °
    35 °
    37 °
    37 °
    38 °
    38 °
    38 °
    37 °
    37 °
    36 °
    35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    32 °
    31 °
    30 °
    30 °
    29 °
    28 °
    28 °
38°/ 31°
39°/ 27°
51°/ 32°
43°/ 34°
42°/ 30°
47°/ 36°

Emmy's Emmys: Best Fall Season Premiere

Welcome to the premiere of ProspectorNow’s latest blog: Emmy’s Emmys. Every week I plan on giving my version of an Emmy to a TV show every week. The categories will range from anything like this one, Best Season Premiere, to best TV quote of the week.  So tune in weekly to see what TV show receives the honor.
By Emmy Lindfors
Managing Editor

Ashton Kutcher joins "Two and a Half Men" cast as brokenhearted Internet billionaire Walden Schmidt. "Two and a Half Men" aires on CBS at 7 p.m. on Mondays.

It was no surprise that “Modern Family” took home 5 Emmy’s this past Sunday night. The show is very easy to relate to for all ages and makes its viewers laugh out loud. So, coming into the season premiere this week I expected it to be the best one yet. They were in Jackson Hole on a Dude Ranch. There were endless possibilities running through my mind of what they could do.
However, “Modern Family” disappointed me. Its storyline was scattered and the two episodes did not connect with one another. The only plot line that followed through was Cam and Mitchell’s decision to adopt another baby. There was no mention of Haley’s former boyfriend Dylan being left in Wyoming to work at the Dude Ranch. You would think there would be something considering Haley and Dylan have been together since the series began.
While it may seem obvious, “Two and a Half Men” takes the cake this week. (Caution: If you haven’t seen the premiere there are some spoilers ahead) With its addition of Ashton Kutcher, made the show laugh-out-loud funny. I had seen bits and pieces of the show, but never fully enjoyed it. However, Monday night was very different.
The show did a great job at focusing on the new and not staying in the past. The opening to the episode was Charlie’s funeral which led to the dismissal of past characters besides Charlie’s brother, Alan, and his son Jake. The rest of the premiere focused on Walden, Ashton Kutcher’s character,  stepping onto the scene. The ending of the show revealed Walden wanting to buy Charlie’s old house which leads to more questions that will be answered in part two of the premiere on Monday.
I was constantly laughing at the quirkiness of Walden. While he may be an Internet billionaire, he has some troubles fully comprehending everyday knowledge. Upon arriving at Charlie’s place, where Alan was, after trying to commit suicide, Walden needed to call his ex-girlfriend to inform her that he “flung [himself] in the ocean ’cause [he] can’t live without [her].” Walden wanted to make a point that the ocean was freezing because he was shocked to find it that cold at night.
Needless to say, this Monday night, I will be sitting in front of the TV once again watching “Two and a Half Men.” Unlike some renovated shows (who can forget “Scrubs?”), the renovated “Two and a Half men” brings fresh comedy to TV.

Honorable Mention:

-“The Big Bang Theory”: The show stuck to its main plot line: nerds trying to function in everyday life. However, the “cliff hanger” ( I use that term loosely especially when involving comedy shows)  from last season was cleared up quickly making it be almost a waste of an episode. It’s magic was brought back though during the second half of the premiere when Sheldon, a germophob, was freaking out that Penny brought a chair up from the garbage.
-“The Mentalist”: The perfect cliff hanger last season of Patrick Jane killing his thought-to-be nemesis Red John left me anxious for the next season to start. While the episode was great focusing on Jane proving the man he murdered was Red John, Jane revealed at the end of the episode that he has came to the conclusion the man he killed was a bad man (he kidnapped young girls, similar to Red John) but he was not Red John. This conclusion only makes me frustrated. It is just a continuation from the beginning of the series and to be honest, I am tired of it. The whole plot line involving Red John can make you feel like you are going in circles as there are many mind games and twists.