35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    33 °
    33 °
    34 °
    35 °
    37 °
    37 °
    38 °
    38 °
    38 °
    37 °
    37 °
    36 °
    35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    32 °
    31 °
    30 °
    30 °
    29 °
    28 °
    28 °
38°/ 31°
39°/ 27°
51°/ 32°
43°/ 34°
42°/ 30°
47°/ 36°

82 happy thoughts, thought nine

tn_thought_bubble-300x209As a junior I am a member of the 500 something most stressed out people in school. Not only am I a junior but I am a student, along with about 2100 other kids, at one of the top ten high schools in the state and while the stress at any school can get rough, everyone knows that the pressure can be intense and the workload can be high.  So in the spirit of staying sane, I have started this blog to remind my fellow knights, and myself for that matter, to stop and smell the roses, take a walk in the park or watch a funny movie; essentially want everyone to take a deep breath and smile. Inspire d by the website 1000awesomethings.com, I will be posting this blog twice a week until the the end to the school year, 82 times in all, about things that are meant to make you grin. Happy moments, enjoyable memories, blissful feelings; you name it, I’ll post it. So, overall, take a minute to just relax and think happy thoughts.

Thought #9- The color yellow

I might be a little biased because of the whole “juniors wear yellow on color day” thing, but, hey, who doesn’t like the color yellow?

Color day is one of those happy homecoming traditions that feeds into that wonderful sense of senior superiority and freshman feebleness . Every student’s level of power can be shown by the color of their shirt. The once seemingly homogeneous student body has now been bonded together as a single class. It can be argued that this tradition divides the student body, but in reality, it brings together a smaller number of people who are all going through the same things, and reminds them that they are not alone in their day to day struggles.
But I digress.
Yellow does not signify unreasonably belligerent loyalty to a class to most people. Rather, people outside of the Prospect class of 2013 see yellow as a bright color that typically symbolizes sunshine, warmth and general good cheer.
Yellow, a warm color if I remember my first grade art class correctly, was always my number one crayon choice. Granted, I had to use the yellow crayon to color my hair in self portraits because up until middle school my hair was a lovely shade of banana peel yellow, but it was and still is used to color in suns, flowers and smiley faces.
The wonder of yellow writing utensils did not stop in elementary school, either. Annotations in classes like english and history became the illustrations our books now lacked.
Thanks to the nice folks in the English Department we now get to mark up the pages of our own books in some vibrant florescent colors, the most popular being, you guessed it, yellow.
Highlighting in one of the lovely, blinding shades of yellow will keep students’ attention and totally brighten ups some of the, err, less exciting books.

Now, some of you may find my thoughts on this particular subject rather silly. How, you may ask, can one color be more ‘happy’ than another?

Well, the truth is that yellow is a personal choice. To me it symbolizes anything young, alive, and light- hearted or (for this week at least) a hot blooded inter-class rivalry. Based on my individual experiences yellow just strikes a chord. These same emotions could be evoked by hot pink, baby blue, or forest green, it just depends on the person.