35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    33 °
    33 °
    34 °
    35 °
    37 °
    37 °
    38 °
    38 °
    38 °
    37 °
    37 °
    36 °
    35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    32 °
    31 °
    30 °
    30 °
    29 °
    28 °
    28 °
38°/ 31°
39°/ 27°
51°/ 32°
43°/ 34°
42°/ 30°
47°/ 36°

PMK ends season at Bands of America competition

Sophomore Britt Johansson performs in PMK's show Leonardo's Dream at the Homecoming football game on Oct. 14. The band placed 13th at Bands of America's regional competition this weekend in Indianapolis.

By Meghan Doyle
 Executive News Editor
Prospect Marching Knights (PMK) drum major junior Destiny Duraj  loves going to band competitions because of the good food, camaraderie  and success experienced there.
This year, as the band headed into its last competition of the marching  band season – Bands of America’s regional competition – the band was  not so much concerned about ranking. Instead PMK was looking to end  its season “on a high note,” according to Duraj.
“It doesn’t even matter to me where we place,” Duraj said. “I just hope that our last show is the best that we’ve done so far.”
PMK director Chris Barnum said the band was looking to make finals, which includes the top 12 bands out of the 45 or so competing.
PMK actually placed 13th out of 31 bands, missing finals by .1 of a point. Avon High School from Avon, Indiana placed first, due to a fuller sound than the other bands.
“It was an emotional day for a lot of us,” PMK drum major senior Jessica Kreidler said. “[But] it was a fantastic show. The music that we made in that stadium was unbelieveable.”
The competition this year was at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, On Saturday, Nov. 5 and included bands from all over the Midwest, as well as a few from the South. Barnum cited Marian Catholic and Lake Park High Schools as big competition for PMK.
“It’s the end of the season for everyone…so everyone’s going to be about as good as they are going to be this year,” Barnum said.
PMK had been preparing the whole year for this competition, according to Barnum. In addition to packing their luggage for the weekend trip, the band members endured three hour practices two days a week and did their best to focus on what the show meant, according to Duraj.
While focusing, band members realized that they were both excited and nervous for the upcoming competition. But, according to Duraj, the excitement quickly overcame the nerves.
“When you get under those lights, it’s so much fun,” Duraj said. “It’s so cool, and the crowds are cheering, and there’s people there who really care about what you’re doing.”
Duraj said the pressure is a little different, now that she’s a drum major instead of just a part of the band, because the trio of drum majors have the responsibility of the entire band on their shoulders.
However, everyone involved in the band has the back of their fellow bandmates.
“Band is more than just playing instruments and marching around the field,” Duraj said. “It’s a real team effort, and we really support each other through everything.”