35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    33 °
    33 °
    34 °
    35 °
    37 °
    37 °
    38 °
    38 °
    38 °
    37 °
    37 °
    36 °
    35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    32 °
    31 °
    30 °
    30 °
    29 °
    28 °
    28 °
38°/ 31°
39°/ 27°
51°/ 32°
43°/ 34°
42°/ 30°
47°/ 36°

Emmy's Emmys: Best TV Fairytale

By Emmy Lindfors
Managing Editor
Once upon a time…
These four words we have heard at the beginning of stories countless times, often when we were little. The stories usually involved a damsel in distress and a heroic prince coming to her rescue, thus them living happily ever after.
"Once Upon a Time" shows two universes interlocked with classic fairytale characters. Prospect alum Jennifer Morrison stars as Emma, the hope for breaking the curse.
We don’t often go back to these stories in high school since our lives are crammed with studying, stressing over borderline grades and making sure our social life is in good measure.
But, ABC has made it possible for us to revisit these tales with a perfect twist.
In their latest drama, “Once Upon a Time,” Emma Swan, played by Prospect alum and former “House” star Jennifer Morrison, is brought to Storybrooke, a town where every person represents a character from a classic fairytale. The twist? No one except for Emma and her son, who was adopted by the Evil Queen a.k.a. mayor of Storybrooke Regina, knows it.
The citizens of Storybrooke had previously lived a monotonous life and acted how they were supposed to based off their character  For instance, Snow White is known as Mary Margaret Blanchard, a teacher in Storybrooke who has a sweet voice and loves singing to the birds. When Emma arrives, Mary still acts in this behavior but feels compelled to break from it.
Emma works with the citizens of Storybrooke to break their habits and spread the message “if you want your life to change, you need to do something about it.”
The show was created by the same folks who created “Lost.” Both these shows feature two universes linked which can be hard to follow. I’ve just started to grasp the idea after watching the first four episodes.
However, ABC has done and excellent job with putting a twist and interlocking the fairytales we all loved. Not only that, but spreading powerful messages to viewers about being themselves and standing up for what they believe in.
Even with the fresh take on fairytales, “Once Upon a Time” remains true to one of the most important aspects of fairytales: they all lived happily ever after.
“Once Upon a Time” airs on Sundays on ABC. To watch the first four episodes click here.