35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    33 °
    33 °
    34 °
    35 °
    37 °
    37 °
    38 °
    38 °
    38 °
    37 °
    37 °
    36 °
    35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    32 °
    31 °
    30 °
    30 °
    29 °
    28 °
    28 °
38°/ 31°
39°/ 27°
51°/ 32°
43°/ 34°
42°/ 30°
47°/ 36°

35 Happy thoughts, thought 18

A new graphic is in the works, my photographer and I are just lazy.

Hello there, my name is Miranda Holloway, and as a junior I am a member of the 500 something most stressed out people in school. Not only am I a junior but I am a student, along with about 2100 other kids, at one of the top ten high schools in the state and while the stress at any school can get rough, everyone knows that the pressure can be intense and the workload can be high.  So in the spirit of staying sane, I have started this blog to remind my fellow knights, and myself for that matter, to stop and smell the roses, take a walk in the park or watch a funny movie; essentially want everyone to take a deep breath and smile. Inspire d by the website 1000awesomethings.com, I will be posting this blog once a week until the the end to the school year, 35 times in all, about things that are meant to make you grin. Happy moments, enjoyable memories, blissful feelings; you name it, I’ll post it. So, overall, take a minute to just relax and think happy thoughts. 

Thought #18- Hair cuts

My hair grows like a weed. Not like one of those weeds that you can just pull out and your garden looks pretty. My frizzy hair is one of those weeds that you could dump a carton of weed killer on it and dig it up with a bulldozer and it would still come back the next day. It’s a pain.

I like wearing may hair long,  but it can get out of hand pretty quickly. My hair is naturally wavy (or frizzy depending on the day ) so, unless the hair gods  are happy with me, I have to straighten my hair or wear it up to avoid looking like this guy. It takes me about twenty minutes to straighten my hair and when I do spend that time my hair is crazy again by fifth period.
Being so busy, I don’t have time to go get my hair cut too often. So, after a few months,  my hair is long and damaged ends . It’s actually kind of depressing, seeing my poor hair all limp and sad and incapable of looking good. It’s not always as long as I would like it but at least the ends of my hair doesn’t look like an ragged lawn.
Well, this time last week my hair was depressing, so it was time to take action.
I got my hair cut. Although I did nothing major to it. It’s not green or spikey, and I did not shave my head (I’m not Brittney Spears) . I just got a trim, only two inches or so. While it doesn’t seem like much changed in my life, it did.

My hair is now in order and so is my life. Corny, yes, but this is me we’ re talking about, so that’s a given.

Now that my hair looks as presentable as ever,  I can concentrate on everything else in my life that was falling out of order. My room is clean and my grades and my life is balanced; like is good. As fickle as it sound,  it’s true. I’m one of those people where when one things feels out of order, I have trouble completely devoting my energy to anything until I fix whatever feels off. My math teacher has noticed this and thinks I’m crazy. I obviously know how to make a good impression.

My hair was throwing  me off  my groove. I could be excited about going to school in the morning but have my mood squashed by not being able to do anything with my hair.

This  hair trauma started my day off sour and after that,  it’s hard for me to fight my way back to a happy, sunny mood. It is a cycle of cranky that can not be broken. Snapping at my parents, ignoring my friends and all of this began from a simple bad hair day.

But now my hair is cut and my world is happy. I can get up in the morning and worry about what I want for breakfast instead of what I can  do with the jungle of hair attacking my head. I either straighten it or throw it up in a ponytail and move on. However, with a few locks off, I happily can say that I cannot  do my signature “my hair is a mess so I’m going to put it in a pile in the top of my head and call it a bun look”, but  that’s probably a good thing.

My hair has been refreshed,  and now I have a chance to start over- growing  it out once again. It is a new beginning for both my hair and the semester. It seems only natural that I start anew with both my hair and my grades at the same time. Not that the two are related,  but maybe they can race: which one will stress me out faster. I will be taking bets on both sides if interested.

The only other downside is that my hair is now layer weird (which I know is a concern to all of you) and my bangs get puffy when I don’t straighten them. Being a generally lazy human being and don’t do that every day so now I have to teach myself to do this on bad hair days.