35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    33 °
    33 °
    34 °
    35 °
    37 °
    37 °
    38 °
    38 °
    38 °
    37 °
    37 °
    36 °
    35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    32 °
    31 °
    30 °
    30 °
    29 °
    28 °
    28 °
38°/ 31°
39°/ 27°
51°/ 32°
43°/ 34°
42°/ 30°
47°/ 36°

Time-honored Turnabout traditions

By Meghan Doyle
 Executive News Editor
 Whether the situation is dealing with sports, holidays, daily routines or   anything else, people value tradition, and Prospect’s varsity poms squad is no exception.
The team has been planning the Turnabout dance for at least 16 years, according to head coach Courtney Fleaka, as a way to raise money for the poms program. This year, the dance will be held in the cafeteria on March 3 at 8 pm, and the theme is a casual Party in the U.S.A.
Fleaka said though themes are sometimes recycled, the girls like to discuss different ones, based on available decorations and party favors. This year, the space will be decked out in red, white and blue, and students will receive sunglasses of the same color scheme.
The deejay is also the same each year because, according to both Fleaka and team captain senior Tori Alesi, students enjoy the music and the atmosphere.
Another tradition honored at Turnabout is the crowning of a prince from each grade. Throughout  the week preceding the dance, students will be able to nominate and vote for who they want to be prince.  The nominations used to be a part of Winter Ball, but Turnabout picked up where the Ball left off.
“Winter Ball has discontinued that tradition, even though the boys still really appreciate it,” Alesi said. “But we have continued on with [crowning] princes.”

The cost for the dance is $10 per ticket, both at the door and in advance. The money helps to pay for the dance itself , but, as the event is a poms fundraiser, the leftover cash goes toward new uniforms, as well as fun parties for the squad and summer camps.

In the past, poms has raised between $4000 and $5000 through the dance alone, but $1700 must go to pay for the deejay and the decorations.

All in all, Alesi said the best part about the preparation is the night before the dance. The whole team stays after school till 8 p.m. to decorate the cafeteria and get everything organized for the event. The girls get pizza, blast music and just enjoy each other’s company, in the midst of working hard to get everything ready.
“It is hard work; we all have to do our fair share,” Alesi said. “We goof around a little, but … we always love for the decorations to be awesome and for everybody to walk in and be totally surprised, so, in order to do that, we have to work really hard.”
Nevertheless, Alesi said the hard work pays off because of all the people that come and enjoy the dance every year. She also appreciates the time the poms girls get to bond with one another, and so does her coach.
“I think it’s great the way [the girls] come together to do something for their school; I like how they bond as a squad,” Fleaka said. “I think they really enjoy it, so I enjoy watching them get together and doing that.”