35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    33 °
    33 °
    34 °
    35 °
    37 °
    37 °
    38 °
    38 °
    38 °
    37 °
    37 °
    36 °
    35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    32 °
    31 °
    30 °
    30 °
    29 °
    28 °
    28 °
38°/ 31°
39°/ 27°
51°/ 32°
43°/ 34°
42°/ 30°
47°/ 36°

35 Happy thoughts, thought 21

By Miranda Holloway
Executive Online Editor

Hello there, my name is Miranda Holloway, and as a junior I am a member of the 500 something most stressed out people in school. Not only am I a junior but I am a student, along with about 2100 other kids, at one of the top ten high schools in the state and while the stress at any school can get rough, everyone knows that the pressure can be intense and the workload can be high. So in the spirit of staying sane, I have started this blog to remind my fellow knights, and myself for that matter, to stop and smell the roses, take a walk in the park or watch a funny movie; essentially want everyone to take a deep breath and smile. Inspire d by the website 1000awesomethings.com, I will be posting this blog once a week until the the end to the school year, 35 times in all, about things that are meant to make you grin. Happy moments, enjoyable memories, blissful feelings; you name it, I’ll post it. So, overall, take a minute to just relax and think happy thoughts. 

Thought #21– Inspirational posters/quotes

I love cheesy stuff. More than what is normal for most teenagers. Teenagers are supposed to be all rebellious and moody and hate the world, conformity and sunshine, right? I must really suck at being 17 then because happy, cheesy things are my bread and butter (and cheese).

Although some cheesy pick up lines either make me want to smack people or vomit on their shoes. I find cheesy jokes hysterical, much to my friends’ and family’s chagrin. My favorite: “A dyslexic man walks into a bra.”
    I’m dying over here.
    My favorite of all cheesy things, however, is motivational posters and quotes. For a person of above average pep, I get discouraged fairly easily and I can get very critical of myself. Got a C on a physics lab? You’re never going to college. Oh, your hair is frizzy today? Better not leave the house. You swore in front of grandma? She’s going to hit you with her cane when no one is looking.
    O.K. I don’t really think those things (except the last one, it’s a legitimate concern), but my point is made. Sometimes mistakes or bad things build up and I just want to give up, but this happens to everyone. Discouraging times are common and everyone has their own way of dealing with it. Some people get angry and yell, some people run, others have to take time away and come back later, while I on the other hand turn to the internet for solace (shocking, I know).
      I Google, bookmark and click through some of the cheesy- est quotes on the internet. They make me smile.
     I follow a twitter account devoted to motivational quotes, and I actually don’t find classroom posters totally ridiculous. Heck I have my favorite quote from “Friday Night Lights,” “Clear eyes, full hearts, can’t lose” on my wall.
The thing that I like about motivational quotes is that I don’t understand how people could just come up with stuff like that. I mean granted most of them are probably prepared and written down but some of them come from interview and that freaks me out.
 I don’t understand how people just come up with these things. I know not everyone is a bumbling mess when they speak like I am sometimes when I speak, but come on. Some of these folks are clever.
I don’t understand where John Wooden, does legendary basketball coach, comes up with this: “Success is peace of mind which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you did your best to become the best you are capable of becoming.”
He’s a genius.
When I find quotes I like, I store them on a word document I started when I was 14, which has grown to a good six or seven pages now. I don’t really do anything with these quotes, but I’m sure that one day I’ll find some things   to do with them. Perhaps I will start a cheesy school poster company. Good idea? I think yes. I’ll make millions!
With that I leave you with one of my favorite quotes from sophomore summer reading book, The Alchemist: “When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better too.”
That’s going on my first poster.