35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    33 °
    33 °
    34 °
    35 °
    37 °
    37 °
    38 °
    38 °
    38 °
    37 °
    37 °
    36 °
    35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    32 °
    31 °
    30 °
    30 °
    29 °
    28 °
    28 °
38°/ 31°
39°/ 27°
51°/ 32°
43°/ 34°
42°/ 30°
47°/ 36°

'Skyfall' celebrates 'Bond' 50th Anniversary

By Kelly Schoessling
Entertainment Editor|
The man shoots the line that’s holding the train carts together. James Bond (Daniel Craig) hesitates for a split second to devise a plan. His cart is already beginning to lag further behind the continuously speeding train, his target is escaping.
Without another thought he jumps into a excavator being carried on his cart and quickly maneuvers the claw to dig a hole within the moving train’s roof. Bond then jumps out of the excavator and sprints down the surface of the claw before taking a leap into the hole he’s created.
He smoothly lands on his feet in the train interior just as the back of the train breaks away. He takes a second to check his suit, then casually walks forward. In his ear piece, the agents from MI6 ask him what has happened.
With a smirk on his face, he responds, “Just changes cartridges.”
The latest installment of the “Bond” franchise, “Skyfall” continues on the story of British MI6 agent, James Bond after its previous film “Quantum of Solace” released back in 2008. This year also marks the official 50th anniversary of the “Bond” franchise.
After resurrecting himself from the dead, Bond finds himself neither physically or mentally able to perform with as much proficiency as his younger self.
An old dog must learn new tricks though when ex-MI6 agent, Silva (Javier Bardem), attacks the agency and is after director M, (Judi Dench) for re-vengeance.
Though the stunts and action scenes within the films were tremendous, it was rather the scenes that revealed Bond’s troubled backstory and personal conflict that really lended themselves to make the movie outstanding.
In fact, one of the most telling and revealing scenes within the movie doesn’t even include Bond’s presence within the scene.
The scene involves Kincade, Bond’s childhood gatekeeper, showing M a secret latch that leads to an underground tunnel. Kincade tells M that immediately after he reported Bond’s parents death, he hid in the isolated tunnel for two days. “When he came out, he was no longer a boy.” Kincade said.
Though this scene is extremely subtle, it’s packs a much broader look on who exactly Bond is as a person. Suddenly there’s more understanding for him when he shoots a gun, or stabs a man, everything he does means more. It’s these minimalist scenes within the movie that make it feel layered and emotional.
Another exceptional aspect within the film was its overall theme. The plot not only revolved around getting up after falling, but rather recovering from the fall.
Though the film many focused on the idea of inevitable aging for Bond, all the characters within the film had their own personal conflict with recovery.
For example, M throughout the film is consumed by the ugly truths of the consequences from the tough and sometimes immoral decisions she’s had to make in her particular role as director of MI6.
Overall “Skyfall” was not only a movie about explosions, motorcycle stunts, or fancy fight scenes. “Skyfall” is much more a seasoned plot about overcoming the continuous emotional and physical obstacles life throws at us.
A poem by Alfred, Lord Tennyson quoted within the movie seems to summarize the essence quite well. “We are not now that strength which in old days. Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are— One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will, to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.”
Interested in seeing “Skyfall” for yourself? Click the link below to see the trailer.