37 °
    37 °
    36 °
    36 °
    36 °
    38 °
    41 °
    44 °
    47 °
    50 °
    52 °
    53 °
    54 °
    54 °
    53 °
    52 °
    51 °
    50 °
    49 °
    49 °
    48 °
    48 °
    47 °
    46 °
    46 °
55°/ 35°
66°/ 46°
70°/ 45°
Moderate rain
47°/ 41°
Patchy rain nearby
41°/ 39°
Moderate rain
45°/ 40°
Patchy rain nearby

Green Onions win UFC all-boys’ championship in almost perfect season

Alyssa Kowols
The members of the Green Onions, the 2023 UFC all-boys’ division champions, pose with the trophy at Gattas Stadium.

In the all-boys’ division of UFC, the Green Onions dominated every team on their way to their first championship win, defeating the Kanadian Geese, 6-4. The final matchup was physical, as the Geese and Onions had an intense rivalry all through the season, with the Onions owning the season series 4-0. By the time the final UFC standings were released, the Green Onions tallied up 17 wins, with only one loss on the year, giving away only 36 points against. 

Senior Jacob Brunetti mentioned how he and the rest of his teammates on the Green Onions held each other accountable in order to achieve their main goal for this season.

“Our ultimate goal was just to win the championship,” Brunetti said. “We obtained the goal by just having fun and having good chemistry. [We wanted to] keep each other’s heads up because it matters and to not get down on each other.”

Now, with all of the work having paid off, Brunetti said he felt grateful to have won with his group of friends.

“It felt like winning the basketball regional,” Brunetti said. “It was great, I feel like my life was complete after that. We beat the Geese for the fourth time this year. I liked going undefeated against them, but [the experience] was just great and it couldn’t have been better.”

The season ended on a high note for the Green Onions, but Brunetti said he will miss everything involved in the club, including the competitiveness, social media aspect, and the game itself. 

“I liked the competitiveness and the narrative Camardella gives,” Brunetti said. “His role plays it off as some huge league with power rankings weekly, and I think I am just going to miss the excitement of winning pretty big games.”

Video recap of the UFC all-boys division championship from Tuesday, Oct. 17 (video courtesy of Colter Person).