35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    33 °
    33 °
    34 °
    35 °
    37 °
    37 °
    38 °
    38 °
    38 °
    37 °
    37 °
    36 °
    35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    32 °
    31 °
    30 °
    30 °
    29 °
    28 °
    28 °
38°/ 31°
39°/ 27°
51°/ 32°
43°/ 34°
42°/ 30°
47°/ 36°

Spring Sports Preview

Badminton

Last year’s record: regular season finished 6-2, second in the east division, third in conference behind Fremd and Buffalo Grove.
Returning Varsity Members: Seniors Shea Gallus, Laura Dietrich, Maura Benson and Kara Kendell, Junior Noreen Caporusso and Sophomore Kiley Walsh. Gallus and Caporusso finished top 16 in the state.
Key Meets: The team is looking to upset its East Division rival, Buffalo Grove. They are also looking to defeat Fremd in the West Division.
Conference Outlook: Finished third last year and is now looking to be a top contender this season. Head coach Jean Rezny feels the team has the opportunity to finish first though it will be tough to accomplish.
Coach’s corner
“I’m excited about the beginning of the season,” Rezny said. “They are really playing well and the experience from last year is going to come through for us this year.”

Player’s corner
“We have a lot of returning varsity players, that should make us a good team,” Gallus said. “Practice is what you make out of it and [badminton] is a lot of self motivation

“I think we have a lot of talent that is hidden away right now that will come out during the season after we start [becoming] comfortable as a team and perfecting our shots,” Caporusso said.

Information Compiled by Alyssa Zediker, Executive Sports Editor

Boys’ Volleyball

Last year’s record: 
finished 16-19 a lower record than pervious years

Key Returning Varsity Members: Seniors Kevin Somagyi, Patrick Mcllwee, James Doughty and Kevin Atwood 

Key Games: The team is looking to overcome Buffalo Grove’s dominance this season, though head coach Mike Riedy feels all MSL games will be important this season.

Information Compiled by Aungelina Dahm, Staff Writer

Girls’ Track

Last year’s record: 17-3
Returning Seniors: Seniors Melissa Jones, Kathleen Kennedy, Abby Banna, Kathryn Angel, Laura Maibuecher, Ashely Yarbrough, Tracy Flahaven

Key Meets: Hard to see at the moment, as Divisionals give a good indication of how conference will go.
Conference Outlook:  The girls look good to do well in conference this year, with a indoor track records already being broken by Jones, Banna, Kennedy and Grossman.  Jones said one of their biggest rivals will be Conant this year.
Coach’s corner
“The girls have done well in indoor track and are ready to start this year’s season off well.” Head coach Dave Wurster said.
Player’s corner
“We have good starting runners, but we also have a lot of good runners for back up too.” Jones said.

Information Compiled by Matt Bajkowski, Sports Editor

Girls’ Soccer

Last year’s record: 9-10-3  Last year the team beat a tough Warren team in the first round of the playoffs, but then in the next round lost to Fremd. Later in the tournament, Fremd actually went to the final four, so Froats doesn’t think it was a bad loss.
Coach’s corner

“Were hoping to be successful on the defensive side of the ball and we’ve made it a focus from day one to be more successful on the offensive,”Froats said “We have players that technically and athletically the ability to be more successful.”

Player’s corner
“My expectations going into the season is to be a contributor to this winning team and hope to do well as the boys did!” Freshman Rosie Pettenuzzo said.

Information Compiled by Peter Fusilero, Staff Writer

Softball

Last year’s record: 8-23 injuries really hurt the team last year
Returning Varsity Members: Seniors Hannah Lythberg, Amy Graham Sarah Scaccia, Juniors Mary Liberty, Julie Mazur, Michele Molini and Cassie Poulos

Coach’s corner
“The [girls] are stinging about [last year] because we should of been better, but this year there are a lot of younger players,” Head coach Jim Adair said.”They all know the game and their serious and want to win

Player’s corner
“That’s our goal this year is just to win games, and I think our team can accomplish that,” Junior Jill Sadowski said.

Boys’ Tennis 
Last year’s record: 2nd in MSL East

Returning Varsity Members: 
Seniors Owen Hoepfner, Pat Revesz, Caleb Anderson, Ryan Popp, Chris Petroski, sophomores Same Tambeux, Ralph Tenuta and Carson Burke

Key Meets: 4/17 Fremd 4/19 Buffalo Grove 4/26 Hersey

Conference Outlook: Top 3 Buffalo Grove, Prospect and Hersey

Coach’s corner
“We go into every year trying to make sure they guys understand that the goal is to continuously improve each week and as long as we do that I think we can win our fair share of matches,” Huffman said. “I don’t think we are the favorite this year but I still think we can win the East.”

Player’s Corner

“Last year we had three really good freshmen so now that they have a year of experience I think we should be able to improve even more as a team,” senior Pat Revesz said.
Information Compiled by Jack Mathews, Staff Writer