35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    33 °
    33 °
    34 °
    35 °
    37 °
    37 °
    38 °
    38 °
    38 °
    37 °
    37 °
    36 °
    35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    32 °
    31 °
    30 °
    30 °
    29 °
    28 °
    28 °
38°/ 31°
39°/ 27°
51°/ 32°
43°/ 34°
42°/ 30°
47°/ 36°

Whizbang flies to their first UFC all-girls’ championship after three years

Alyssa Kowols
The members of Whizbang, the 2023 UFC all-girls’ division champions, pose with the trophy at Gattas Stadium.

After a cold, windy and rainy day, Ultimate Frisbee Club (UFC) was forced to move its Championship Tournament from Oct. 13 to the night of Oct. 17. Despite being postponed, senior Maeve Morris and her team, Whizbang, stayed committed to their game plan and won the Championship game against the Orchachicks, 7-0. With their victory, Whizbang secured their first ever title as all-girls’ division champions of UFC. 

“It was definitely fun, [and] it was worth it,” Morris said. “The Orchachicks put up a good fight, so it was a little nerve racking in the beginning. To win was really fun.” 

By the end of the season, Whizbang put up nine total wins (the most in the all-girls division) with the all-girls division-low 79 points against, making them the best all-girls’ team in UFC. Morris credits her team’s growth in chemistry and experience for the success they had this season. 

“[Our chemistry] has definitely grown because all of us are super close, [because] we have been friends [for a while],” Morris said. “But [since then], we have gotten more used to playing with each other, like we kind of know ‘Oh this person’s a defensive player. This person’s good at scoring,’ and all of that. So [the chemistry has] just grown just through learning how each of us play.”

Even though her time playing in UFC is over, Morris reflected on how her team grew closer through frisbee. She mentioned how Whizbang had been improving in skill and chemistry as a team since her sophomore year, not just this season, which feels more rewarding now after their championship win. 

“It’s been super fun,” Morris said. “We made the team sophomore year, so it’s been fun [to] build it and make it better, and it’s been a really good group. So it’s fun spending my Fridays before the football games with them.”