Junior June Ardito sells jeans to Prospect students at the first-ever Prospect Thrift Shop on December 18 in the commons.

Cleaning out for a cause

Prospect Thrift Shop gives back costumes to the community

With an abundance of costumes pouring out of the Prospect basement, Theatre Director and Theatre Angels sponsor Jeremy Morton along with Theatre Angels executive board members wanted to find a unique way to clear out the inventory. 

After some brainstorming and conversations with costumer Pat Doyle, Prospect’s first ever Thrift Shop was born. 

On December 18, outside the Kulieke Theatre, racks of clothes were set up and color coordinated. Throughout the day students could come and purchase the costumes that had been piling up in the Prospect basement over the course of 60 years.

“We have a whole bomb shelter full of costumes, actually,” Junior June Ardito said. “That’s what the basement is.”

According to Morton, the Thrift Shop is designed to not only give back to the community, but to also raise money for the theatre program. Any costume that is not sold at the Thrift Shop will be dropped off at local donation centers such as Goodwill. 

The fundraiser money is used in a variety of ways, but Morton specifically mentions investing it into group bonding experiences. 

“Our big outing will be [when] we go [and] rent a theater to see the new Mean Girls movie,” Morton said. “We’re all going to go check it out and have so much fun.”

Morton also thinks the process of setting up the Thrift Shop and selling the costumes is another potential bonding experience for students involved in theatre. 

“Hopefully [the thrift shop] will provide a bonding experience for us,” Morton said. “If not, it really helped the kids [gain] a leadership opportunity.”

Although this is the Thrift Shop’s first year, Morton has made it clear that it will be back again soon with the same goal: to give back to the community.