35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    33 °
    33 °
    34 °
    35 °
    37 °
    37 °
    38 °
    38 °
    38 °
    37 °
    37 °
    36 °
    35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    32 °
    31 °
    30 °
    30 °
    29 °
    28 °
    28 °
38°/ 31°
39°/ 27°
51°/ 32°
43°/ 34°
42°/ 30°
47°/ 36°

Roundtable ready to celebrate

Roundtable members redecorate their locker. Roundtable is preparing for their fiftieth anniversary celebration of Roundtable this year. Photo by Emmy Lindfors

By Emmy Lindfors
Executive In-Depth Editor
Fifty years ago, two important and long-lasting activities came to be a part of the Prospect community: The Prospector and the Roundtable, Prospect High School’s magazine featuring student works such as photos and stories.
Now fifty years later, the magazine is celebrating their fiftieth anniversary in a big way, starting with redecorating the Roundtable locker on the second floor. The locker hadn’t been redecorated since the beginning of the new century, so the photos they had cut out began to fade.
“We decided that it was kind of falling apart and we needed to redecorate it[with newer clippings] and draw more attention [to the locker],” Nicolette Fudala, Editor-in-Chief of the Roundtable, said. “We wanted to do something special and promote Roundtable.”
Many Roundtable members stayed after school, to paste clippings on the locker. The students searched through professional magazines and newspapers. The groups also uses college brochures to find the perfect art and slogans. The group was “excited” to find a “cool” knight in a University of Central Florida brochure.
“Whatever sparked our interest [is what we put on the locker],” Fudala said. “We want random things to make people look and to make people think. Whatever sparked our attention, we hope that it would spark others’.”
Senior and Roundtable member, Kelly Peterson, commented that the locker had sayings that are “social commentary and social irony.” Some sayings being “Welcome to Paradise. You’ve earned it” and “happily ever after.”
The locker was an idea that was formed by some of its members early on. Its purpose was for students to submit their works of art. Roundtable members still use the locker, checking it weekly.
The members hope that as students walk by on their way to class that they notice the new brightness of the locker and will want to be a part of the fiftieth anniversary celebration of the magazine.
“We are inspired by the fiftieth anniversary,” Fudala said. “We want to make this the best issue so far.”