35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    33 °
    33 °
    34 °
    35 °
    37 °
    37 °
    38 °
    38 °
    38 °
    37 °
    37 °
    36 °
    35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    32 °
    31 °
    30 °
    30 °
    29 °
    28 °
    28 °
38°/ 31°
39°/ 27°
51°/ 32°
43°/ 34°
42°/ 30°
47°/ 36°

Knights to remember

Alyssa Kowols

Homecoming is always an exciting time of year, but almost more thrilling than the event itself is finding out the theme. From A Knight Through Time all the way to Hollywood Knights, the creativity that sparks from homecoming is out of this world. While picking favorites is near impossible, picking least favorites was less hard. We did our best to (unbiasedly) rank the last 10 years of Homecoming themes from love to hate.

1. A Knight Through Time – 2018

We didn’t go to Prospect during this time but this theme is making us wish we did. We have nothing bad to say about A Knight Through Time. This theme was planned out incredibly well. They decorated each hallway as a different decade, so it felt as though you were walking through time, which we LOVE. The cafeteria also collaborated with the student council in order to make their menu for the week match the theme, serving food inspired by different decades. Overall, the student council really covered all the bases for this theme and it turned out to be amazing.

2. A Knight Around The World – 2015

We thought that this theme was a great way to learn about new cultures and would provide a great way for students to talk about their own cultures. This could open up opportunities to decorate other areas of the schools with imagery and furnishings associated with different countries. They decorated the hallways with different flags, and overall this theme is a great opportunity to infuse the homecoming season with cultural learnings. 

3. A Knight In the Roaring 20’s – 2016

The Roaring 20s was such a unique time and makes an even more unique homecoming theme. We feel that The Roaring 20s is not a super common theme but such a great idea! The music and the fashion can lead to many opportunities for decorations! Overall we think that this is such a creative theme!

4. Game Knights – 2021

Game Knights was the first homecoming back from the COVID-19 pandemic and it was a phenomenal first homecoming for both freshman and sophomores. They decorated the school to make it feel like you have stepped into a board game, which is so fun! They also had games for students to play, such as Jenga and Foosball at the dance. 

5. Hollywood Knights – 2023

We think this year’s Hollywood Knights theme was fun and had room for interesting decorations, and possibly dress-up. They decorated the hallways to evoke the LA and Hollywood scene, although we think the decorations were a little confused sometimes. Some areas like the field house were not decorated much. This one does get bonus points for the red carpet Photo Booth, which was super fun and very unique in terms of photos and videos. 

6. City Knights, City Lights – 2017

We have very mixed opinions about this theme. The concept of City Knights, City Lights is very odd. It feels like you couldn’t do a lot with this theme. Despite this, some of the decorations were done beautifully, parts of them being our favorite decorations from the past 10 years. Our favorites included collages of newspapers and Playbills plastered on the walls, and New York street signs over doorways. The whole environment was busy, similar to the vibe of the city. While some of these decorations were put-together, others were not so good. Some of the decorations look like they spent multiple days creating and some look like it took less than 5 seconds. We wish they were at the same level. 

7. Enchanted Knights – 2022

Overall we feel that this theme was fine, it was interesting but could be executed better. They decorated the halls to seem like a fairytale yet they didn’t decorate the field house according to the theme at all. It just looked like a standard homecoming. Even if they put up simple decorations that somewhat go with the theme it would have been better.

8. A Knight Under The Sea – 2014

A Knight Under The Sea is not a very unique theme. We think there could have been some interesting decorations or ways to engage the students with this theme, but it is also a little unoriginal, compared to other themes that had lots more interesting applications around the school.

9. A Knight On The Boardwalk – 2019

We think A Knight on The Boardwalk is a bit of a strange theme to do. Although it presents fun opportunities for dress up or decorations, the decorations they did do were not the best, and the theme itself seems weird and not relevant to the time. There are just many other better themes you could do for this time at school.

10. Homestaying – 2020

This theme is DEAD LAST and it is for a reason. This “homecoming” was during COVID and because of covid they couldn’t do anything. Because of this there isn’t really anything to review.