35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    33 °
    33 °
    34 °
    35 °
    37 °
    37 °
    38 °
    38 °
    38 °
    37 °
    37 °
    36 °
    35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    32 °
    31 °
    30 °
    30 °
    29 °
    28 °
    28 °
38°/ 31°
39°/ 27°
51°/ 32°
43°/ 34°
42°/ 30°
47°/ 36°

Choir Rocks, rocks the house

Choir Rocks performing in front of parents in the theater. (Photo courtesy of Lea Biwer)

Choir Rocks is a choir workshop held by Prospect’s choir and acapella classes held on Oct. 15. This is the second year that Prospect has done the Choir Rocks workshop, but it used to be run by Prospect’s show choir program for 15 years until 2020 when Prospect’s show choir program was canceled. Jennifer Troiano, choir and acapella teacher, led the workshop along with student volunteers. The student volunteers are all in different choir programs at Prospect. The choir students welcome the kids and help them learn the songs. Sophomore Lea Biwer volunteered for her second time at Choir Rocks. She helped guide kids through learning the vocals to the songs and tried to keep the students engaged throughout the day. Biwer had a lot of things that made her smile that day but highlighted one part.

“Watching the kids learn the songs and having them participate in [the program]… and seeing them have fun,” said Biwer. 

The workshop was for kids in grades 4 – 8, and about 40 kids attended the workshop. Troiano coordinates with other choir teachers in the district to spread the word about Choir Rocks. This is the first year that 4-5 graders could participate in the workshop. Over the summer, the choir held a summer camp with 4-8 graders. Troiano had so much interest from the younger children that she decided to open up Choir Rocks to 4-5 graders this year. She is even considering lowering the age again for the summer camp next year. Not all students that attend the workshop will attend Prospect, but most of them will. 

At the workshop, the kids arrived and were dropped off by their parents. They were then guided into the theater for warm-ups where they sang several vocal warmups and played warm up rhythm games. After warmups, the kids were split into two groups: 4 – 5 graders and 6 – 8 grade girls and all of the boys. The 4-5 graders went into the choir room to learn the song “Seize the Day” from Newsies. Senior Anna Parisi and several other senior girls in the choir led these kids in learning the vocals. The 6-8 graders were in the orchestra room learning the song “Larger Than Life” by the Backstreet Boys. Each group also learned a shortened version of the song “Build Me Up Buttercup” by The Foundations. 

At the end of the 3-hour workshop, parents and friends could come back and watch the students perform in the theater. Troiano loves seeing the kids continue in their passion for music throughout their school careers. 

“Just a fun day of doing music,” says Troiano. “No stress, no pressure, no expectations, just have fun.”