35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    33 °
    33 °
    34 °
    35 °
    37 °
    37 °
    38 °
    38 °
    38 °
    37 °
    37 °
    36 °
    35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    32 °
    31 °
    30 °
    30 °
    29 °
    28 °
    28 °
38°/ 31°
39°/ 27°
51°/ 32°
43°/ 34°
42°/ 30°
47°/ 36°

Villasin wins class 4A three-point competition

Senior Angelina Villasin poses with the other class’s three-point competition winners. Villasin drained eight threes to claim the 4A state title. “It was nerve wrecking at first,” Villasin said. “But it made it easier meeting the girls I was shooting against, they were all really nice.”

By Jack Ankony, sports editor
When senior Angelina Villasin qualified for the state three-point competition, she did not expect it. After she made nine threes at New Trier High School to make state, she prepared for what she described as something completely new for her.
According to Villasin, she estimates she only hit about one three pointer a game during the season.
“I was shocked [when I qualified] because I didn’t even think I would make it when we were shooting in practice.”
During the few days leading up to state, Villasin worked hard to improve her three point jump shot. Villasin explains that she received a lot of advice and support from her team and coaches throughout the basketball program.
“[John Camardella boys’ varsity basketball head coach] told me to keep my head straight, breathe, and just follow through, so that really helped.”
As Villasin approached the court at Illinois State University, she was taken back by the size of the gym and the amount of people she was about to shoot in front of.
“It was nerve wrecking at first,” Villasin said. “But it made it easier meeting the girls I was shooting against, they were all really nice.”
According to Villasin, staying calm throughout helped her focus during the competition.
“[During the contest] I was just loose,” Villasin said. “I honestly had hot dogs before I shot, not that I didn’t care, I just tried to distract myself [from the big crowd.]”
If she were to give advice to people in this situation, she says one of the biggest things is to use your legs since fifteen shots can get tiring. Villasin also credits her success to her teammates who came out to support her that weekend.
“[My teammates] literally made sure I ate, made sure I woke up, they were like my moms the whole time,” Villasin said. “If they weren’t there I would not have been able to do anything.”
Though there were no gyms for Villasin to warm up in the day of the finals, she didn’t let that phase her. After a short three minute warm up, she hit eight of fifteen threes in the forty-five second time period en route to being named the class 4A state champion.
“Being able to accomplish things after four years playing for Prospect, it’s a great way to wrap up the season,” Villasin said.