Football prevails over Hinsdale South


By Wyatt Dojutrek, online sports editor
On senior Andrew Shafis’s 24th rush of the game, three things were accomplished: he rushed for exactly 100 yards, he scored a nine-yard touchdown and secured the Knights first victory of the season 20-16 on Friday against Hinsdale South.
“I knew I would get the job done,” said Shafis, who was playing his first game at quarterback. “I love those guys as much as my family. I don’t care what position I play; I would do it for them any day.
With all the joy from the players, coaches and fans, the game did not start that way for the Knights.
Two plays in, Hinsdale South running back Shawn Wimberly scored on an 84-yard touchdown run.
Head coach Mike Sebestyen and his players remained calm despite being down 7-0 early in the first quarter.
“I just told them to calm down,” Sebestyen said. “And once they did calm down, they got back to the basics, and it shows.”
The Knights special teams unit also made huge contributions in the game.
Senior Jack Pruban made a 45-yard field goal which is believed to be a school record.
“It is just great to have Jack back,” Sebestyen said. “That’s such great weapon to have back, and we might not have kicked that field goal without Jack last year.”
There were also two huge blocks on special teams that helped the Knights beat the Hornets.
The block punt belonged to senior Jeremy Potratz, who, according to Sebestyen, is just getting started blocking more kicks.
“He struggled all summer getting that angle down and he got it done tonight; he came through,” Sebestyen said.
Guided by special teams and the offensive line, the Knights completed the game-winning  69 yard, 5:30 touchdown drive with some key rushes from junior Brandon Onori, and a huge pass from Shafis to senior Zach Gleason.
At the end, it was the defense that made the final stop, sending Hinsdale South home 0-1.
Sebestyen was very pleased about how his team played against a team that went to the semifinals last year.
“I’m just really proud about how the kids fought for 48 full minutes,” Sebestyen said.