35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    33 °
    33 °
    34 °
    35 °
    37 °
    37 °
    38 °
    38 °
    38 °
    37 °
    37 °
    36 °
    35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    32 °
    31 °
    30 °
    30 °
    29 °
    28 °
    28 °
38°/ 31°
39°/ 27°
51°/ 32°
43°/ 34°
42°/ 30°
47°/ 36°

Girls' basketball falls in regional final

By Wyatt Dojutrek, executive online sports editor
It was the halfway point of the first quarter in the Prospect varsity girls’ basketball teams  63-41 loss in the Buffalo Grove Regional Final, and the team was in a dilemma.
The Knights were down ten points to Warren Township, and the teams leading scorer, senior Emily Frasco, was out with a head injury.
“I really think that we did a good job handling that situation,” head coach Gabrielle Lovin said. “Getting that thrown at us at the end of season, and I think the girls did a great job, didn’t talk about it much, just handled our business.”
However, the Knights continued to battle on after Lovin used her first time out of the game.
“I just told the girls to relax,” Lovin said. “They were not missing almost the entire first quarter. We really started to get into our groove, and playing better defense and making our shots.”
Including making one of Warren’s star talents, Wake Forest commit Kaylen Dickson, to pick up three fouls in the first half.
Jordyn Hughes, an Eastern Illinois commit, helped filled the void while Dickson was on the bench, Hughes scored 16 of her 19 points in the first half alone.
After the timeout from Prospect, the Knights outscored Warren 15-8 to close out the quarter.
The Knights came out at the half firing going on a 6-0 run right out of the gate helped by two straight three pointers from junior Jessica Kowalczyk, who would finish with 9 points on 3-7 shooting.
Prospect would finish shooting 12-40 from the field, including 8-27 from the three point line, while Warren shot 24-46, and 50 percent from three (7-14).
After that, it was a whole different ball game.
Warren went on a 20-0 run to close out the third quarter and continued into the beginning of the fourth quarter.
Dickson scored 17 of her 22 points in the second half, Dickson did not pick up a foul in the entire second half. She also had 10 rebounds in the victory.
The Knights were also out-rebounded by the Blue Devils, 39-18, throughout the contest.  
“Being out rebounded in any game is not too good,” Lovin said. “They were taller than us a little bit, but that has been kind of our achilles heel, giving up those second chance opportunities.”
The Knights gave up 15 second chance points during the game.
After a season that included a coaching change, and beating an in-conference rival three times, Lovin thinks this entire team was very special.
“My team is amazing,” Lovin said. “My coaching staff is fantastic, I think these girls and this coaching staff did a wonderful job adapting and adjusting, proud is all I can say.”