35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    33 °
    33 °
    34 °
    35 °
    37 °
    37 °
    38 °
    38 °
    38 °
    37 °
    37 °
    36 °
    35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    32 °
    31 °
    30 °
    30 °
    29 °
    28 °
    28 °
38°/ 31°
39°/ 27°
51°/ 32°
43°/ 34°
42°/ 30°
47°/ 36°

Knights take another tough loss to Barrington last Friday

By Peter Fusilero

Executive Sports Editor

With a tough loss to Glenbrook South last week, the Knights went in motivate last night against Barrington.

Being that it was senior night, the energy was completely different on the Prospect sideline than it was last week. Unfortunately, the Knights’ strong effort couldn’t overpower a solid 27-14 winning performance by the Broncos.

“We got down last week and we caved,” head coach Mike Sebestyen said. “We competed and fought today. I thought we battled for 48 minutes.”

Not only were the Knights battling the Broncos, but they were also battling injuries. Sophomore quarterback Matt Drew left the game with pain in his upper body allowing junior Greg Suarez (who was supposed to play wide receiver for that game) to take control of the offense.

In the second quarter, the Knight’s trailed 6-0. With 2:35 left, Suarez connected with senior wide receiver John Slupski for a 29-yard touchdown.

“Greg did a nice job coming in,” Sebestyen said. “Our back up [quarterbacks] don’t get in a ton of reps during the week…some of his inexperience showed late, but I thought he did a very nice job setting the offense up.”

As for the Knight’s defense, they fought just as well, but going against a large offensive line in Barrington put them at a slight disadvantage.

“Barrington is a big squad and we were clearly undersized,” senior wide receiver Max Driscoll said. “Obviously there’s some defensive mechanics that we can fix, but they didn’t let down throughout the game.”

The defense was able to force two fumbles last night as well as blocking a punt. Despite the highlights, the Knight’s couldn’t stop the Bronco’s running game. An easy 2-yard touchdown early in the fourth quarter and a single 1-yard hand off late in the fourth destroyed the team’s chances of making a comeback.

Now going forward, Sebestyen just hopes his team takes these last two games as learning experiences.

“We got better from week one to week two,” Sebestyen said. “Now we have to get better from week two to week three and then week three to week four. We have to focus on the film, focus on the practice field in order to get prepared. If we do that then we’re in good shape.”