35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    33 °
    33 °
    34 °
    35 °
    37 °
    37 °
    38 °
    38 °
    38 °
    37 °
    37 °
    36 °
    35 °
    34 °
    33 °
    32 °
    31 °
    30 °
    30 °
    29 °
    28 °
    28 °
38°/ 31°
39°/ 27°
51°/ 32°
43°/ 34°
42°/ 30°
47°/ 36°

Garmoe goes back to back

IMG_5444By Devin Prasad
Following the regional meet the boys’ golf team celebrated unlike other teams might. They listened to the Drake song “Back to Back” to celebrate junior Robert Garmoe on his second regional title in a row. Garmoe led the competition shooting an even round of 70 on Tuesday at Old Orchard.
“[It is] very unique to do something like and to do it with such flare,” head coach Tom Martindale said. “A score of 69 and a score of 70. I don’t care what you say, that’s good golf.”
Equally exciting as Garmoe’s finish was how the team as a whole finished. Their score of 312 was enough for a second place just ahead of Rolling Meadows and Maine South. The second place finish means that the Knights qualified for sectionals as a team.
According to Garmoe, this year was different than last because the team as a whole had less experience. Last year the team had many seniors. This year the six that played in regionals were much younger with two seniors, two juniors, and two freshman. Jack Knott and Charlie Busch were given the opportunity to play in the match not because of injury to other players, but because they earned their spots.
“It was nice to see them out there as far as their energy level,” Martindale said.  “Imagine them, what they felt like yesterday.”
As the team moves on Martindale feels that they need to continue to work on being consistent from hole to hole. So far this season, the team has seen consistency already this season often with the guys at the top of their lineup, but Martindale hopes that each player is able to find that consistency.
Going into sectionals on Monday at Poplar Creek, the team has a three day in-team tournament called the Ryder Cup after the professional tournament. The team is divided up between Europe and the United States. The team dresses up in gear that reflects their team and plays in a competitive environment. According to Martindale the tournament gives students perspective, that they are still in a high school sport and should have fun. It also draws people together from different levels of the team.
“It gets the entire team going,” Garmoe said. “It’s a good time and it gets everyone excited.”